Post New Thread Reply   

^SmileY
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 12:50   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDeath View Post
I''ve literally said it once again
the client only reads the BSP file content when you load it using the "start server" or "map mapname (command)".
when you download a map from a server, you follow the server settings for that map, that's why people can edit maps using stripper without a need for the clients to redownload.
http://hpb-bot.bots-united.com/stripper2.html
Entity is processed at server side ok, but client need to read bsp map to know what entity will be changed according server settings, this not change the fact that client read the bsp map lol.

And yes client need to download bsp and read it to start a local server or enter in a dedicated server.

- See my Git Hub: https://github.com/SmileYzn
PHP Code:
set_pcvar_num(pCvar, !get_pcvar_num(pCvar)); 
Send a message via MSN to ^SmileY Send a message via Skype™ to ^SmileY
LordDeath
Old 12-10-2019 , 12:55   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by redivcram View Post
What did you mean by this, though?

You're giving no valid explanation as to what has been done to alter the map, but still come up with concepts that defy logical thinking. What you said there means nothing to the fact that you've done something with the map. We cannot guarantee that what you're saying about whether the client reads his local BSP vs the server's BSP depending on whether he is using the map command or connecting to the server is true or false because we do not know what has been done to alter the map nor whether one of the map files are legit or not.
I didn't need to explain this, but altering the map means deleting everything from it using some kind of software without a need of recompiling the map, that's literally what I've done. therefor you don't get
Quote:
Your map [maps/de_dust2.bsp] differs from the server's.
when you load the map. deleting the entities from the map and placing some dummy text creates an error, which you should see when you try to run the altered file.
If you tried what I just said for the 2 de_dust2 files I provided you would confirm it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
Why do we need to put the maps onto a fast download server then?
Delete the map from your client and set mp_download to 0 for yourself.
You won't be able to join the server.

Sorry, but you have no idea how that works.
did you even understand anything of what I said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^SmileY View Post
Entity is processed at server side ok, but client need to read bsp map to know what entity will be changed according server settings, this not change the fact that client read the bsp map lol.

And yes client need to download bsp and read it to start a local server or enter in a dedicated server.
that's what I meant all the way till this point, even if you get the protected file from the fast download you won't be able to start it offline or use it for your own server regardless of the client reading it when you connect to the server you got it from or not.

Last edited by LordDeath; 12-10-2019 at 13:01.
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:02   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #53

I do get it. You used some kind of software which you won't tell us the name of it nor what it does to the map to alter it, but keep blabbering about nonsense we can't figure out because we do not know what is being done to the map.

Last edited by redivcram; 12-10-2019 at 13:02.
LordDeath
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:04   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #54

Quote:
I do get it. You used some kind of software which you won't tell us the name of it nor what it does to the map to alter it, but keep blabbering about nonsense we can't figure out because we do not know what is being done to the map.
any bsp editor can do it. ripent for example.
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:09   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #55

Which leads us back to my question statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redivcram
I still cannot figure out why the BSP cannot be decompiled via BSP2MAP. Lack of entities would make 0 sense to me, as the solid world brushes should remain and you can't do anything to them nor add new ones with plugins.

Last edited by redivcram; 12-10-2019 at 13:10.
LordDeath
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:13   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #56

Quote:
Which leads us back to my question statement.
deleting entities from a BSP file corrupts the BSP file, and you can't 100% get a working .map from a corrupt bsp.

Last edited by LordDeath; 12-10-2019 at 13:13.
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:16   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #57

I see. I'll try that out myself some other time, then. But, all this philosophy was for nothing, you could've just gotten to the point long time ago.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 12-10-2019 , 13:54   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #58

Quote:
did you even understand anything of what I said?
I only replied to this, which is still nonsense, no matter if the file is protected or not
Quote:
I''ve literally said it once again
the client only reads the BSP file content when you load it using the "start server" or "map mapname (command)".
when you download a map from a server, you follow the server settings for that map, that's why people can edit maps using stripper without a need for the clients to redownload.
http://hpb-bot.bots-united.com/stripper2.html
If you don't have the file, you cannot enter the server.

DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 14:23   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #59

We ran a test on my server with both maps he provided and continued this on discord chat. The first file he sent was an altered version. The 2nd was a version that was unaltered. Both maps worked perfectly fine on my server. My server has nothing to "clean" entities or remove them, just a method to spawn bots and make sure they're unstuck.

I haven't been in my own server to test how the maps look but both maps worked fine, and LordofDeath did confirm both worked without any issues and was functional (did not reproduce whatever error he was getting).

And throughout the thread someone mentioned you can't add entities to maps. You can. Don't forget entities like rain and snow are a thing (env_rain, env_snow). I believe there's even a plugin to add models as well as ladders to this game. You can add those entities and functions similar to the object/model (aka the ladder).

Ex: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...3&postcount=19

Edit: Uploaded our convo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIF-q1yPHuE

Last edited by DruGzOG; 12-10-2019 at 14:31.
Send a message via AIM to DruGzOG
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-10-2019 , 19:51   Re: Encrypt a map, prevent others from using map
Reply With Quote #60

I said that you can't add world brushes via plugins. Just in case it was directed to my post.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:42
jamesgil
This message has been deleted by asherkin.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:45
redivcram
This message has been deleted by asherkin.