Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

[L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?

Post New Thread Reply   

Shadowysn
Old 06-10-2019 , 06:46   [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #1

Imgur post

Although I couldn't quite manage it correctly, I made the commentary_dummy parented to Coach look back while incapacitated, thus giving us the impossible sight of a character looking back while incapped in L4D2.
(Also for some reason, the angles for the dummy always stay at 0 even though it's supposed to set them to the client's existing angles already.)

What I planned to do was to make the player's model invisible, parent a dummy model and set that model's pose parameters instead.
(A bug I encountered is that the pose parameters don't change while active for the dummy.)
The new version with atleast some functionality is attached below, the old version is in the original description.

Original Description
I attempted to fix it myself, but turns out that setting the pose parameter on a think hook does not appear to work.

For those that don't know, Valve managed to screw it up in-game, so incapacitated survivors face the front when the actual person's looking at the opposite direction.
The pose parameter I found that manipulated the bugged direction is body_yaw.

Here's some test code that prints out information and is supposed to set the pose parameter in a debuggy way:
Spoiler
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (L4D2_Incap_Yaw_Fix.sp - 351 views - 10.2 KB)

Steam profile, where I game, obviously.
Youtube channel, where I do Stick Death Maze animations and some other stuff.
no plugin requests, sorry

My Plugins:
-search list-
Modified Plugins:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Last edited by Shadowysn; 01-22-2020 at 01:33.
Shadowysn
Old 12-03-2019 , 22:21   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #2

Should I... bump? Apologies if I'm breaking the rules, but I changed this thread from a simple asking-whether-it-can-be-fixed to there-was-an-attempt-but-I-failed.

Last edited by Shadowysn; 12-03-2019 at 22:23.
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2019 , 23:43   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #3

I never bothered looking at the source code so there's a mistake that I overlooked at. The think and event hooks are missing the public in their callbacks.

Last edited by cravenge; 12-03-2019 at 23:47.
Shadowysn
Old 12-03-2019 , 23:50   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravenge View Post
I never bothered looking at the source code so there's a mistake that I overlooked at. The think and event hooks are missing the public in their callbacks.
Huh? Is that needed?
I tested out my code with the void function and the PrintToChatAll debug functions worked and printed out the variables in chat.

Oh yeah, I just now figured out the check through a bit of trial-and-error, but it's not exact. It'll only get the old position before incapacitation, so if the player model's angles change then the check will not be synced.

Last edited by Shadowysn; 12-03-2019 at 23:52.
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 12-03-2019 , 23:58   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowysn View Post
Huh? Is that needed?
I tested out my code with the void function and the PrintToChatAll debug functions worked and printed out the variables in chat.
Tbh, I don't really remember if it's optional or not since I haven't been coding for so long and just came back recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowysn View Post
Oh yeah, I just now figured out the check through a bit of trial-and-error, but it's not exact. It'll only get the old position before incapacitation, so if the player model's angles change then the check will not be synced.
Either move to a 0.1 second repeating timer or hooking the other think functions to get that preciseness with minimal erroneous results.
Shadowysn
Old 12-04-2019 , 00:10   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Tbh, I don't really remember if it's optional or not since I haven't been coding for so long and just came back recently.

Either move to a 0.1 second repeating timer or hooking the other think functions to get that preciseness with minimal erroneous results.
Getting the angles just gets the player's angles, not the player model's.

Upon incapacitation, the survivor's visible model is set to stay in one angle while the actual angles of the player are still free to be changed by the player.
I couldn't find a netprop or anything that dictates that angle so I had to make do.

But I could potentially see it working if I added the right checks for crawling, landing on the ground, etc.

Last edited by Shadowysn; 12-04-2019 at 00:17.
Lux
Veteran Member
Old 12-04-2019 , 07:13   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #7

Animation stuff is usually done in PostThink, so a PostThinkPost hook should work.

Commission me for L4D
Shadowysn
Old 12-04-2019 , 07:25   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Animation stuff is usually done in PostThink, so a PostThinkPost hook should work.
Nope, still doesn't seem to be working.

Last edited by Shadowysn; 12-04-2019 at 09:00.
cravenge
Veteran Member
Old 12-06-2019 , 10:50   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #9

Like I said, move to a 0.1 second repeating timer instead of hooking the incapacitation event since it happens only once unless you want to fire it manually every time players stop crawling and stays in place but that would be messy.
Shadowysn
Old 01-22-2020 , 01:25   Re: [L4D2] Fixing body_yaw when incapped? / Set pose parameters?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Like I said, move to a 0.1 second repeating timer instead of hooking the incapacitation event since it happens only once unless you want to fire it manually every time players stop crawling and stays in place but that would be messy.
Well, there's one more in-game thing that could change the incap model's angles:
- Landing on the ground after being in the air. (Only seems to sometimes happen, and only just flips the angles.)

I gave up with the real player model and decided to use a parented commentary_dummy instead.

Steam profile, where I game, obviously.
Youtube channel, where I do Stick Death Maze animations and some other stuff.
no plugin requests, sorry

My Plugins:
-search list-
Modified Plugins:
1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Last edited by Shadowysn; 01-22-2020 at 01:25.