Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Server using 100% of vCPU

Post New Thread Reply   

r4f4w
Old 09-08-2019 , 11:07   Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #1

Hello guys.

I was hosting my CSGO server on AWS, but my data transfer out was getting higher and higher and the EC2 was getting too much expensive. So, I deciced to change my host to locaweb (a host company from Brazil), because i will have 2TB of data transfer included on my plan.

But when I configured my server and tried to play, i noticed that was a bit laggy, so i added 9 bots to test the performance, and then the var go all the way to 30. I decided to check the processor and compare with AWS EC2 t2.micro, the result:

t2.micro: 1X intel xeon e5-2676 2.4GHZ

locaweb: 2X intel xeon e5-2630 v4 2.2GHZ

I have 2 vCPU with 2.2GHZ in locaweb, but beacause CSGO uses only 1 at time, on my admin panel it says that I'm using 50% of my CPU vps. Theoretically, my locaweb VPS it's better than AWS, but it's not handling my server at all.

Any help please??
TomL.
Veteran Member
Old 09-08-2019 , 15:40   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #2

Well, vps servers are always a gamble.
With only 2,2-2,4GHz, both servers are pretty weak.
What is the server tickrate?
r4f4w
Old 09-08-2019 , 17:49   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL. View Post
Well, vps servers are always a gamble.
With only 2,2-2,4GHz, both servers are pretty weak.
What is the server tickrate?
128 tick.

The 2.4GHZ was handling pretty well with 5v5,sourcemod, gloves, ws, knifes and csgo pug splewis.

That's why I thought was something wrong, because ""0.2GHZ"" doens't make a lot a difference.(I know that's not the only way to measure the power of a processor, but anyway both of them are almost the same)

Another problem that i have with AWS is the CPU credit. I'm able to play only 1 match, then i have to restart the vps, otherwise it will run out of credits and the server will lag A LOT
meister
Old 09-09-2019 , 01:12   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by r4f4w View Post
128 tick.

The 2.4GHZ was handling pretty well with 5v5,sourcemod, gloves, ws, knifes and csgo pug splewis.

That's why I thought was something wrong, because ""0.2GHZ"" doens't make a lot a difference.(I know that's not the only way to measure the power of a processor, but anyway both of them are almost the same)

Another problem that i have with AWS is the CPU credit. I'm able to play only 1 match, then i have to restart the vps, otherwise it will run out of credits and the server will lag A LOT
Consider upgrading your servers then, seems like a hassle to constantly have to restart the server.

Linode and DigitalOcean have affordable options.
Old 09-09-2019 , 04:31   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #5

You can try changing the tickrate to 64.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
Afaik, they don't offer brazil or south america at all as location.
r4f4w
Old 09-09-2019 , 08:05   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meister View Post
Consider upgrading your servers then, seems like a hassle to constantly have to restart the server.

Because most of the host company converts dollar to real, prices here in Brazil are insane, that's why I'm trying to get the most cost/benefit VPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL. View Post
You can try changing the tickrate to 64.

Afaik, they don't offer brazil or south america at all as location.
Yeah, changing to 64 would probably solve my problem, but I prefer to spend a little bit more and make a 128tick server. For me, 64 and 128 makes a LOT difference.

I tried to change my linux distro from Ubuntu to Debian (I found out that Debian it's more lighter). Made a difference in the CPU usage, but now I see something weird.

When I invite my friends to join me(or even when I'm the only one playing), CPU usage keeps on 25%~, but every around 2 minutes, the server will lag and all the players have a little bit of "rollback". In this case, the var doesn't go up, and the ping of me and my friends remains at 15~5. Has anyone ever seen this? ( My tickrate is 128 with sv_minrate 128000 and all of cmd and up rates are 128 ).

Last edited by r4f4w; 09-09-2019 at 08:06.
Dagothur
Old 09-09-2019 , 12:19   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #7

The VPS you bought is likely overloaded/oversold and those rubber bands you can't pinpoint are likely the overall usage of the host system spiking to a point where there aren't enough cycles available to process frames for your game server.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-09-2019 , 13:20   Re: Server using 100% of vCPU
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Because most of the host company converts dollar to real, prices here in Brazil are insane, that's why I'm trying to get the most cost/benefit VPS.
"VPS" is your key.

Quote:
but I prefer to spend a little bit more and make a 128tick server. For me, 64 and 128 makes a LOT difference.
Then spend these "a little bit more" as you say, like ... add a minimum of the last +$120/month, to your current budget, and get closer to what you want.

Your cheap riding won't get you anywhere, especially not in/around Brazil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagothur View Post
The VPS you bought is likely overloaded/oversold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagothur View Post
the overall usage of the host system spiking to a point where there aren't enough cycles available to process frames for your game server.
+1.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].