[CS:GO] Ban By VAC

Post New Thread Reply   

Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2018 , 07:49   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337norway View Post
I wouldn't say it's "lousy" as that method Bacardi posted would break easily if the message string was slightly changed in the future. The dynamic way (my suggestion) would be more appropriate for the long term. It's ignorant to believe there's a "proper" way when it comes to something as contrasted as programming.
it is lousy. valve never changes those kick messages. prolly been the same since vac was introduced i guess

Last edited by Visual77; 07-15-2018 at 07:53.
backwards
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-15-2018 , 07:57   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
Cutting corners and attempting to be "future proof", especially when you never know what happens in the future, and when it may lead to false positives; that is clearly "lousy".

The ignorant way, to take your word, would be check multiple StrEqual/StrContains, when you have the option right now to do it right and use one single, that wouldn't cause a single false positive.

You have some options and things available right now, those are the only things you can depend on at the time being. If things change in the future, you should adjust things at that time in the future.

A "Ban By VAC", to quote the title, is related to when a user is VAC banned, and NOT when there are anything else related to the VAC system, that isn't the exact ban.
"cutting corners" implies that short cuts are taken to reduce the complexity of code in this situation. Obviously adding more code for separate checks would be the adverse of this. You are right, you never know what will happen in the future with updates. You don't know if they will change the string or introduce new strings which would make both scenarios equal. You'd have to come back and manipulate the program to account for these changes regardless. Adding multiple string checks wouldn't correlate to increased performance overhead in this case as the single longer string check would be even worse. You've made no valid logical statements for why one would be preferred over the other. It's clear you are upset over something here but attacking users on a public forum as an active moderator over disagreeing about programming choices is a bit ridiculous
Veteran Member
Old 07-15-2018 , 08:18   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #23

Cheaters can use any disconnect message they wish to
Old 07-15-2018 , 08:22   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337norway View Post
"cutting corners" implies that short cuts are taken to reduce the complexity of code in this situation. Obviously adding more code for separate checks would be the adverse of this. You are right, you never know what will happen in the future with updates. You don't know if they will change the string or introduce new strings which would make both scenarios equal. You'd have to come back and manipulate the program to account for these changes regardless. Adding multiple string checks wouldn't correlate to increased performance overhead in this case as the single longer string check would be even worse. You've made no valid logical statements for why one would be preferred over the other. It's clear you are upset over something here but attacking users on a public forum as an active moderator over disagreeing about programming choices is a bit ridiculous
And how come that cutting most of the phase away, before the check, isn't a "short cut" to you?

Kigen's anti cheat were failing after some Valve update in the past, causing false positives and thereby false bans. The lousy administrator of one of the servers where a such thing was happening, and were every single client was being banned, was once unwilling to "delete" the bans completely and remove the "ban history" .

In short words, it would be a matter of minutes to a couple of hours usually, before Google would know about the bans and list your Steam ID as being a previous offender by an anti cheat.

If, as you say, you do it with checking if "VAC" is in the phrase, and they will change it in the future, you will get innocent people banned from your way of doing it.

Using the full phase allows obviously requires future maintenance if that day will ever come, but is a simple phrase change, that will not cause any false positives.

- How would you personally feel, if your Steam profile had incorrect histories (that be, at third party sites), regarding VAC bans that you have never ever had? People may actually act on this!

If there is a reason for the ban, sure, go ahead, ...

Hitting innocents is NOT something I would be proud of, and while I have seen at least 3-4 VAC-related phrases, with only one of them being related to the exact ban, you're definitely going to end up hitting innocent people with your way of doing it.

There is, unfortunately, no ways to distinguish between "personal opinions" and "moderator opinions" form a moderator on any forums out there:

You're clearly misunderstanding my intentions with these messages, as they have never (neither as personal, nor as a moderator) been meant to be "attacking" you (or anyone else), but simply to help any people to make the code right.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 07-15-2018 at 08:25.
backwards
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-15-2018 , 08:57   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #25

I do agree with you now after reading your response. I was under the impression that this would just be used to display a neat colorized message in chat and maybe a sound to make the banned player event more boldly defined. This was a really naive assumption. The concern of someone else using this "VAC" substring code for events to add bans to public databases like source bans would be a really bad idea. Anyone stumbling upon this thread for code snippet references should use the approach to scan the whole string to validate it's the correct message. Degrading someones name on a public forum due to incompetence of proper programming would be pretty bad. If it weren't for this factor i'd still disagree. That being stated I wouldn't trust a disconnect message as they can be customized with reasons for disconnection from the server. For this particular case of using the information provided to prevent the player from then using commands on a webpage would be a bad idea. For instance what if the player times out right before the vac ban is issued? Then the server wouldn't be notified. You should be handling this security check for vac bans on the webpages side by querying the steamids steam community page info.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-15-2018 , 14:01   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #26

In my mind, being very wrong is code that doesn't work in the first place while unoptimal code tends to work but it can be better. I would have stated the original code with StrEqual would be better if the authentication error didn't pop up.

This thread turned into an elitist bloodbath pretty quickly.
adska
Old 07-16-2018 , 02:10   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #27

I think to check "vac" and "ban" words in the message would be enough. If message contains these two words, it means player was banned by VAC.
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 07-16-2018 , 13:22   Re: [CS:GO] Ban By VAC
Reply With Quote #28

What about future "VAC Unbanned" message? Nah I'm just joking. Sheesh