Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?

Post New Thread Reply   

ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 15:03   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelipoika View Post
If your server is an enjoyable experience people will play on it
No, they won't. I posted why above. If you'd like to respond to the thing you quoted, you can, but otherwise your post is completely useless. Comparing the CS:GO community to the TF2 community is just completely off base, too. It's more reasonable to compare TF2 to CS:S, and in that case, yes, having an enjoyable server is truly all you need.
Lannister
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 15:43   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejziponken View Post
Valve has copyright of the art and models etc they created for this game and you are using it without their permission. You cant argue against that. I guess it comes down to copyright infringement.

"Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. The copyright holder is typically the work's creator, or a publisher or other business to whom copyright has been assigned. Copyright holders routinely invoke legal and technological measures to prevent and penalize copyright infringement."
Never said that it isn't ilegal, i said it shouldn't be ilegal. Their lame excuse was that "it was harming the skins economy" ye, sure, in other words "We don't want to loose money" but still they allow gambling and all those things, i'm sure i can go more deeper but there's no point, also, the economy didn't change at all (and there are thousand of servers using !ws).

Still there's no point on this, the sad thing here is that servers don't have it easy when they have to compete against another server using !ws even if the other server is pure shit.
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 07-10-2018 , 16:35   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister View Post
Still there's no point on this, the sad thing here is that servers don't have it easy when they have to compete against another server using !ws even if the other server is pure shit.
Pretty much what sums up this thread. You could have a top notch quality server, great community, and your server will suffer simply because some shit-tier, no effort server has !ws/!knife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelipoika View Post
If your server is an enjoyable experience people will play on it
Once you get a bit of in-depth experience and knowledge of the actual CS:GO community, you'll know this simply is not true. The community average age definitely seems significantly lower than that of TF2's (since we're comparing), and the desire for shiny pixels outweighs that of quality gameplay.

Rough example: Run 1 surf server with an impeccable, feature-rich timer, and a boatload of well curated maps, and run another surf server with 1/4 of those maps, a timer that constantly has problems, variance spiking all over the place, and exploited times - but it has !ws/!knife. Which one will people choose? You guessed it, the latter.

Just a note, this isn't a hypothetical - I've observed this as a reality and could definitely name names if I really felt the desire to.

It's a pretty shit feeling that having run game servers for a long time, putting so much time and effort in, just for that to be ruined by some other no-effort server. I personally have sent Valve numerous information-filled emails about the issue (not just mindless ranting), for all of them to be ignored. If they at minimum made it so everyone was on the same playing field, I wouldn't mind, but at some point the frustration really gets to you. The players want to play with fancy weapon skins, and if you don't have it, oh well, onto the next, no matter how quality your server may be.
Old 07-10-2018 , 17:32   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #64

Back in the day when I ran multiple TF2 servers I never accepted cash donations; only item donations. And I made a lot of cool features free for everyone to use (taunts, !tp, !resize, !color, etc.), think there were like at least 40 or 50+ features for just a regular guest. The server was filled to the brim with players all the time.

They want gratification. With TF2/CSGO now built around item hoarding in PUGs then this is the top in their list of things to look for in a server. Sad, but true. That's one of the reasons I dropped the game and hosting them.

I've taken the mantra of making everything free for everyone to just enjoy and have fun in the game to L4D2 and now have 2 servers that are almost always full after only having kicked off 2 weeks ago in going live. Take it to heart - hosting isn't a job; it should be treated as a side hobby. The cash/donation incentive is just a perk.
Pelipoika
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 17:54   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
If i'm a player looking for a surf server, i go to the server browser and i look for maps with surf_ in their name, I cannot see your super epicsauce timer features from the server browser and it is pretty much granted that every server has some kind of timer in it. I am not going to join every single surf server to find out which one has the most super mega epic timer on it, maybe my friends told me that we could try surf a little bit for the fun of it, and i propably don't care about that stuff because i'm not trying to go pro in CS:GO surfing, i just want to chill and surf.

I don't think having a timer that is slightly different on your server from others makes your server that unique because at the end of the day, it's just another timer in a sea of surf servers with timers, and i as a player i am not looking at mega epic timers, i'm looking at maps and the servers name and the playercount in the server browser.

That's just how i see it tho, i might be wrong i agree because i don't play CS:GO

Last edited by Pelipoika; 07-10-2018 at 18:23.
Arkarr
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2018 , 17:57   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Man View Post
Back in the day when I ran multiple TF2 servers I never accepted cash donations; only item donations. And I made a lot of cool features free for everyone to use (taunts, !tp, !resize, !color, etc.), think there were like at least 40 or 50+ features for just a regular guest. The server was filled to the brim with players all the time.

They want gratification. With TF2/CSGO now built around item hoarding in PUGs then this is the top in their list of things to look for in a server. Sad, but true. That's one of the reasons I dropped the game and hosting them.

I've taken the mantra of making everything free for everyone to just enjoy and have fun in the game to L4D2 and now have 2 servers that are almost always full after only having kicked off 2 weeks ago in going live. Take it to heart - hosting isn't a job; it should be treated as a side hobby. The cash/donation incentive is just a perk.
And I can't agree more with that. I remember days where I actually enjoyed playing the game instead of braging about the very last new skin. It seems to me that not only the server hoster sold themselves, but the players as well.
Old 07-10-2018 , 18:03   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #67

Moderator sneaK SM violates Valve's terms. Wow. I wouldn't expect that.

https://snksrv.com/bans/ - So many servers on the basis !ws, !knife and more.

Main owner of the CMGPORTAL.CZ.
---------------------------------------
My plugins:
[CS:GO] Panorama - Timeleft
[CS:GO] JailBreak - Be quiet, please!

Last edited by Fastmancz; 07-10-2018 at 18:04.
sneaK
SourceMod Moderator
Old 07-10-2018 , 18:11   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastmancz View Post
Moderator sneaK SM violates Valve's terms. Wow. I wouldn't expect that.
Is this supposed to be some sort of shaming? I've been extremely vocal on the topic since I'm so personally disgruntled by it, like so many others. See: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...47#post2584847

Believe me, I'd be more happy if it was an 'all-or-nothing' kind of deal, but it's clearly not.
Old 07-10-2018 , 18:37   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #69

Let's not throw rocks at each other.

Now, if I understand it correctly, because server owners are unable to create and manage community without the need of those illegal stuff, we should accept them because it is simply too hard to create a community without them ?

Or am I over simplyfing things ?
Old 07-10-2018 , 18:54   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaK View Post
I'm sorry. I agree with your post. We have to discuss with Valve, now!

Main owner of the CMGPORTAL.CZ.
---------------------------------------
My plugins:
[CS:GO] Panorama - Timeleft
[CS:GO] JailBreak - Be quiet, please!