Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[L4D2] Remove the names from above survivors' heads?

Post New Thread Reply   

epilimic
Old 06-10-2018 , 07:40   [L4D2] Remove the names from above survivors' heads?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello, I want to get rid of the names above survivors' heads. When I play in 3d they're drawn at the wrong distance and this kills the experience. A survivor might be far away from me but their names are all still drawn really close and big. I know there's a cvar sv_disable_glow_survivors that will do it, but this also gets rid of glows which I do NOT want to happen. Realism mode is not the intent, but rather to keep the glows and get rid of names.

Alternatively, if they can't be removed separately is it possible to force the game to draw the names at the correct distance when the survivors move further away from you?

I did see this plugin: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=1613576 but unfortunately it allows you to see ghost infected... not good. The solution there was to not have the green healthy glows but that's not a solution that works for me. If this plugin could be fixed up to knock out that bug then I could simply set the disable glows cvar which would get rid of the names and glows then use this to re-apply glows only.

I'd really appreciate any help here, thanks!
Visual77
Veteran Member
Old 06-10-2018 , 08:15   Re: [L4D2] Remove the names from above survivors' heads?
Reply With Quote #2

There are some cvars according to https://developer.valvesoftware.com/..._of_L4D2_Cvars
(haven't checked if they still exist).

Code:
hud_targetid_name_height                 : 12       : , "cl", "launcher" : Player names are this many inches over player eye positions
hud_targetid_name_height_boomer          : 12       : , "cl", "launcher" : Player names are this many inches over player eye positions
hud_targetid_name_height_hunter          : 10       : , "cl", "launcher" : Player names are this many inches over player eye positions
hud_targetid_name_height_smoker          : 25       : , "cl", "launcher" : Player names are this many inches over player eye positions
hud_targetid_name_height_tank            : 12       : , "cl", "launcher" : Player names are this many inches over player eye positions
hud_targetid_player_view_cone            : 0.92     : , "cl", "launcher" : View cone for survivors seeing names of other survivors
hud_targetid_pz_ss_view_cone             : 0.98     : , "cl", "launcher" : View cone for seeing player names as a PZ in splitscreen
Maybe hud_targetid_name_height 0 or -1 will hide it?

And maybe:

Code:
overview_names  0                        : 1        : , "a", "clientcmd_can_execute", "cl" : Show player's names in map overview.
Option 3: Have you tried scouting the workshop for VPK addons?

I found one on google on first search. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...htext=no+names

Last edited by Visual77; 06-10-2018 at 08:21.
epilimic
Old 06-10-2018 , 18:04   Re: [L4D2] Remove the names from above survivors' heads?
Reply With Quote #3

None of the hud cvars exist anymore, the only one related that pops up is hud_targetid_rangefinder which "shows range for different masks".

I set overview_names to 0 but that didn't change anything.

VPK is not an option as this is something that needs to work with competitive servers, and we disable vpk's on them.