Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.

Post New Thread Reply   

GoldNux
Old 04-23-2018 , 10:09   Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #1

I have met so many people telling me that the more plugins you have, the shittier hit registration you will have on your server.
I have tried to explain to them that the number of plugins alone can not have that effect but rather its depending on what types of plugins you are using.

I know that using set_task too much will be hard on your CPU, is there any more things you should watch out for when writing plugins or managing a server?

I have a lot of small plugins, that I pause depending on map and .cfg file.
Some of them are kept running and will check a cvar at the start of a round for example.

Is it "bad" to pause plugins? And how much does AMX affect the FPS stability on a server?
Is 1.8.3 a lot more optmized? And what can be done about bad hit reg?

I rent a server and pay for it each month, (1000fps) with a good connection.
It is working pretty good, but sometimes the fps drops from a stable 950-800 to 400..

My settings:
Quote:
no pingboost
sys_ticrate 1000
sv_maxrate 100000
sv_minrate 80000
sv_maxupdaterate 101
sv_minupdaterate 70
I'm guessing during these dips is when the hitbox really sucks, but I don't know.
I'm sorry if this does not fit in the general category, maybe it should be in HLDS or scripting help?

Thank you.

Last edited by GoldNux; 04-23-2018 at 10:12.
CookieCrumbler
Old 04-24-2018 , 01:25   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldNux View Post
I have met so many people telling me that the more plugins you have, the shittier hit registration you will have on your server.
I have tried to explain to them that the number of plugins alone can not have that effect but rather its depending on what types of plugins you are using.
Only if you have ALOT and i mean ALOT of plugins it can slighty impact your server but generally this is only if there heavy duty plugins. Most Administrative or basic functionality plugins won't cause any issues.

Quote:
I know that using set_task too much will be hard on your CPU, is there any more things you should watch out for when writing plugins or managing a server?
Plugins that use server frames are the worst offender. When writing plugins try to find the best coded method, utilizing the best amxmodx module to achieve the task. Don't write a plugin using 4 -5 modules when it could of been written in a way that only uses 1 or 2

Quote:
I have a lot of small plugins, that I pause depending on map and .cfg file.
Some of them are kept running and will check a cvar at the start of a round for example.

Is it "bad" to pause plugins? And how much does AMX affect the FPS stability on a server?
Is 1.8.3 a lot more optmized? And what can be done about bad hit reg?
AMXX doesn't really make that much of a tangible difference on your servers performance.

1.8.3 is predominately a build based on things learned over the years being better integrated into the AMXX core. Some plugins require you to use 1.8.3. Personally i use it on all my servers.

You can set up map specific configs and map specific plugin files so that plugins are only loaded on certain maps
https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Configur...p_Config_Files
https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Configur...ecific_Plugins

Quote:
I rent a server and pay for it each month, (1000fps) with a good connection.
It is working pretty good, but sometimes the fps drops from a stable 950-800 to 400..

My settings:

I'm guessing during these dips is when the hitbox really sucks, but I don't know.
I'm sorry if this does not fit in the general category, maybe it should be in HLDS or scripting help?

Thank you.

For true 1000 FPS flat you want to set ,
sys_ticrate 10000

this will make your server run at 1000FPS Flat out give or take a few digits. At 1000FPS flat out the server renders frames at 1ms which will give you the best hit registration( but at a cost of higher cpu usage), compared to 10ms on a standard 100FPS server.

eg:

For this to work if its a windows server your game server provider must also be running a high resolution timer on there dedicated server box

If there not running a HRT tell them to download and keep running at all times an executable called srcdsbooster.exe
( I believe there may be a HRT metamod module as well )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by CookieCrumbler; 04-24-2018 at 02:02.
GoldNux
Old 04-24-2018 , 13:21   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieCrumbler View Post
Only if you have ALOT and i mean ALOT of plugins it can slighty impact your server but generally this is only if there heavy duty plugins. Most Administrative or basic functionality plugins won't cause any issues....
Thank you for replying!

Unfortunatly I cannot ask for anything more than for my host to add launch options.
I have asked them what hardware they are running but they did not want to say.
All I know is that it is running on linux, and that it is considered a professional game server host.

I never understood why you should run sys_ticrate 10000, seem very strange since the game can only handle 1000 fps. Correct? I have read so many different opinions on this and some people seem to repeat what others have told them.

I see no more stability when setting it to 10k compared to 1k.
It still hangs out around 950 - 980 with some dips.
Mordekay
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 04-24-2018 , 14:11   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #4

On linux you cannot simply run a command and magically you can set your server to 1000fps. You need to run your own kernel. If you have a VPS only or no root access you cannot do anything like that. If your host however says that he is "a professional game-server host" then he can do that, most likely against an extra fee.

But 1000fps is a fairly tale, your server won't become magically the best with this.

4ever16
Veteran Member
Old 04-24-2018 , 17:22   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #5

Those who says AMXX effects the hitbox is stupid people. AMXX ON test AMXX OFF and then test.
Like someone sed earlier amxx is just a addon to the game it has nothing to do with hitbox or what ever.

But remember we are talking about HLDS aka CS 1.6 so all modern servers can handle it without any problem with amxx and so on depending on the server cause i think all game hosts uses VPS and that is a shared pc.

You need to understand that the hitbox depends on the server/connection/rates nothing more.
The only thing you can do, try different rates & settings & try different server.

I dont understand why yo uare asking them to put in unesesary comands in launch options...

I have hosted on the same host but not ''private'' i think ''private'' is a weaker server then the public one.

I remeber i had same server host as you but i used public instead of private.
And i remember that i found a gold spot and that was only by playing with server rates in server.cfg

Try public one time maybe its a stronger server? Why do they else force you to have password, just a question i have why do they force to have a password? I think they dont want to have heavy load on that server & why no heavy load? Maybe cause its weak? Who knows???

I know a guy who host on a pretty shitty VPS but he has found the perfect settings ping is 28-30 stable allways!!! I love it! Cost of VPS? 6 dollars.

Last edited by 4ever16; 04-24-2018 at 17:26.
GoldNux
Old 04-25-2018 , 08:11   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever16 View Post
You need to understand that the hitbox depends on the server/connection/rates nothing more.
The only thing you can do, try different rates & settings & try different server.

I dont understand why yo uare asking them to put in unesesary comands in launch options...
I have hosted on the same host but not ''private'' i think ''private'' is a weaker server then the public one.

I remeber i had same server host as you but i used public instead of private.
And i remember that i found a gold spot and that was only by playing with server rates in server.cfg
Try public one time maybe its a stronger server? Why do they else force you to have password, just a question i have why do they force to have a password? I think they dont want to have heavy load on that server & why no heavy load? Maybe cause its weak? Who knows???

I know a guy who host on a pretty shitty VPS but he has found the perfect settings ping is 28-30 stable allways!!! I love it! Cost of VPS? 6 dollars.
I have tried a few unapproved plugins that really messed with the hit reg, and I have also experimented with a few plugins that do a little bit to much when you kill someone for example.

So I think it is possible that a plugin might mess it up a little, one of my plugin that pushes team score to a database used to freeze the server for two seconds the first time it connected.

But yeah I hear what you are saying and I agree, good plugins does not affect the server hit reg.
I'm also pretty sure they are using a VPS as the quality and FPS stability varies from day to day.

I have asked about the difference between public and private server, and they said the only difference is if you have more players the server hit reg might be worse.
But I think its just like you say, they use less cpu on the private servers, and that is one of the reasons I will try a different host.

As for unnecessary launch options, I tried pingboost 3 and had some major issues with it.

Last edited by GoldNux; 04-25-2018 at 08:13.
GoldNux
Old 04-25-2018 , 08:19   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
On linux you cannot simply run a command and magically you can set your server to 1000fps. You need to run your own kernel. If you have a VPS only or no root access you cannot do anything like that. If your host however says that he is "a professional game-server host" then he can do that, most likely against an extra fee.

But 1000fps is a fairly tale, your server won't become magically the best with this.
Here is a link to the host website https://www.swedishhost.se/
It is not just some guy with a server in his closet, but I still think there are much better hosts out there..

They market the servers as "1000 fps", but I know fps stability is more important which is why I made this topic. Most players have a good ping around 2-10 on my server.
4ever16
Veteran Member
Old 04-25-2018 , 08:35   Re: Questions about CPU, Hitbox and pausing plugins.
Reply With Quote #8

Try reHLDS from what i understand it uses less power and many bugs are fixed and additional plugins can be installed which cant be installed on HLDS like anticheat plugins and many more.

reAMXX maybe you will need it maybe not. Try out your plugins if they work correctly with original AMXX if they dont work after you re-compile them then u will need reAMXX.
reGameDLL is not needed but try it.

Remember you will need to re-compile all your plugins! No matter if you switch to reAMXX or not.

You can find latest version here: https://dev-cs.ru
More info but its old: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=264661

*All server owners which i know are using reHLDS.

Last edited by 4ever16; 04-25-2018 at 08:40.