CS:GO Server Lag Spikes

Post New Thread Reply   

headline
SourceMod Moderator
Old 10-26-2017 , 04:35   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavelas View Post
The only solution would be to migrate to Windows?
Windows srcds servers do outperform linux servers, but this isn't your golden solution you're looking for

Quote:
Do we have such a strong single core CPU in the market to host a server with 64 slots and 128 tick rate?
I know of no CPU capable of doing this. As far as I know, any server with 64 player slots is running <= 64 tickrate
Pavelas
Old 10-26-2017 , 04:51   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headline View Post
Windows srcds servers do outperform linux servers, but this isn't your golden solution you're looking for

I know of no CPU capable of doing this. As far as I know, any server with 64 player slots is running <= 64 tickrate
Thank you very much for your response!

Can you please give me more details why Windows is not a solution?
Do you have any idea of recommended specs, for example for 32 players 128 tick rate server?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 10-26-2017 , 07:22   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
There is a problem that srcds is not multi-threaded, it uses only one core... Can you please explain for me, how other servers like Zombie Escape with 64 slots can handle it? I mean, of course I will go for better cpu, but with single core I would not be able to go far away?
They are NOT running 128 tick on their stuff, with that many players!

If they claim so, it is nothing but lies and slander!

Quote:
Can you please give me more details why Windows is not a solution?
Yes, getting a Ferrari would never be possible, when you only spend the money that a Hyundai i10 costs.

Changing the "software" in the car won't change the Hyundai to become a Ferrari either.

Likewise, changing the operating system of your "go very cheap with a VPS"-solution DOES NOT give you a fortune for $1/month either.

Quote:
Do you have any idea of recommended specs, for example for 32 players 128 tick rate server?
Yes, go 64 tick.

Anything else will hurt your ass over and over, no matter which operating system you choose.

A 4 GHz one like the 4790K or 6700K may do the 32 players, but there are definitely no guarantee for your satisfaction.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Pavelas
Old 10-26-2017 , 08:01   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
They are NOT running 128 tick on their stuff, with that many players!

If they claim so, it is nothing but lies and slander!

Yes, getting a Ferrari would never be possible, when you only spend the money that a Hyundai i10 costs.

Changing the "software" in the car won't change the Hyundai to become a Ferrari either.

Likewise, changing the operating system of your "go very cheap with a VPS"-solution DOES NOT give you a fortune for $1/month either.

Yes, go 64 tick.

Anything else will hurt your ass over and over, no matter which operating system you choose.

A 4 GHz one like the 4790K or 6700K may do the 32 players, but there are definitely no guarantee for your satisfaction.
Thank you for your response.

I mean, money is not the problem here. I just do not have experience with CS:GO, but I had a few projects CS 1.6, SAMP and Minecraft where VPS was fine. So if dedicated server is a solution I will definitely go for it, but again, even with dedicated server at the moment I do not understand what OS would be better?
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-26-2017 , 09:17   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #15

Yea, even a 4790k isn't really able to handle 32 players@128tr, been there.
Veteran Member
Old 10-26-2017 , 15:42   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #16

Windows splits the networking threads from the main server thread so you may be able to squeeze some extra slots.

The downside is: The networking threads are stealing usage from other cores. So if you host multiple SRCDS instances on the machine it causes variance in the other servers.

Servers hosting 64 slots are running on newer very high clockspeed CPUs and have performance convars tweaked to reduce overheads such as penetration.

The networking alone to handle 64 slots @ 128 tick is ridiculous. Most clients in such a server don't have internet fast enough to have a steady download stream from the server. Adding on the CPU power required and todays current technology, it's impossible to host these servers.

Trying to run your 24 slots @ 128 tick on a VPS is almost always bound to fail. There are two many layers between the SRCDS instance and the CPU to provide a clean variance. CSGO @ high tick rates is extremely resource sensitive, which means small hardware inconsistencies can have a detrimental effect on a clients experience.

Generally VPS providers who are not GSPs run very old CPUs and really shitty slow RAM. While in your case it's advertised as an E5, the actual model isn't provided and is most likey very old and discontinued. Newer CPUs that run at the same clockspeads can have much more significant core performance at peak usage which results in more slots with a much more stable variance.

Essay over.

Last edited by Neuro Toxin; 10-26-2017 at 15:45.
Pavelas
Old 10-27-2017 , 05:09   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuro Toxin View Post
Windows splits the networking threads from the main server thread so you may be able to squeeze some extra slots.

The downside is: The networking threads are stealing usage from other cores. So if you host multiple SRCDS instances on the machine it causes variance in the other servers.

Servers hosting 64 slots are running on newer very high clockspeed CPUs and have performance convars tweaked to reduce overheads such as penetration.

The networking alone to handle 64 slots @ 128 tick is ridiculous. Most clients in such a server don't have internet fast enough to have a steady download stream from the server. Adding on the CPU power required and todays current technology, it's impossible to host these servers.

Trying to run your 24 slots @ 128 tick on a VPS is almost always bound to fail. There are two many layers between the SRCDS instance and the CPU to provide a clean variance. CSGO @ high tick rates is extremely resource sensitive, which means small hardware inconsistencies can have a detrimental effect on a clients experience.

Generally VPS providers who are not GSPs run very old CPUs and really shitty slow RAM. While in your case it's advertised as an E5, the actual model isn't provided and is most likey very old and discontinued. Newer CPUs that run at the same clockspeads can have much more significant core performance at peak usage which results in more slots with a much more stable variance.

Essay over.
Thank you very much for such detailed answer!

I see that you have a few servers too, can you please share your personal experience and best practices? What approaches do you use in your personal project?
e54385991
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-27-2017 , 05:31   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #18

Best way use 6700K 7700K 8700K dedicated server .regardless of the Windows Linux, 24slot@128tick *3 server should be no problem
VPS performance always unsteady

Last edited by e54385991; 10-27-2017 at 05:36.
Send a message via ICQ to e54385991
shavit
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-29-2017 , 13:26   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #19

OP: I very roughly read through this thread.
I had the same performance issues you have, and I had similar issues.
* Virtualization. Now I'm on VMWare ESXi, which is completely fine. We need for monitoring.

* Bad CPU. My CPU was even a bit better than your CPU, but now I'm on a i7-4770S @ 3.10GHz and it handles 4 fairly populated servers just fine; var doesn't go above 0.3.
Generally speaking, you want a CPU that can perform the best in single-threaded benchmarks, for optimal SRCDS performance.
See this: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
Basically everything above 2.1k here should be good to go for around 24 slots/128tick. Make sure your rates are configured properly though, for maximum performance - this isn't related to CPU usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne1288 View Post
Yes, go 64 tick.

64 tickrate isn't a solution for OP as they run a multi1v1 server; players simply won't join their server if it's not 128 tickrate.

Last edited by shavit; 10-29-2017 at 13:31.
DJPlaya
Old 10-29-2017 , 15:52   Re: CS:GO Server Lag Spikes
Reply With Quote #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitcky View Post
Try this on your server.cfg
Code:
//ForceRates
sm_cvar sv_maxrate 128000
sm_cvar sv_minrate 128000
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 128
sm_cvar sv_mincmdrate 128
sm_cvar sv_minupdaterate 128
sm_cvar sv_maxupdaterate 128
sm_cvar net_splitpacket_maxrate 100000
sm_cvar sv_maxunlag 0.5
sm_cvar sv_unlag 1
>Nononononono, never force a Rate depending on the Tickrate, and also dont force them to have the same min/maxrate! 128 means 128kbs/s, you know someone with a connection that bad? Set the maxrate to 0, its bullsheet to force Players to this.
>Also the mincmd/update Rate should be lower, else Clients will get in trouble when having bad Computers that cant hold up that Tickrate
>Settings sv_unlag is totally useless, its allways enabled and disabling it will never be usefull in any way beside Hacking.

This is my Networking Config for CSGO 128Tick
Code:
// ********** Rates **********

sv_minrate 0 // Min Bandwidth 0=unlimited
sv_maxrate 0 // Max Bandwidth 0=unlimited

// Min Updates per Sec to the Client
// 128TICK: sv_minupdaterate 70
// 66TICK: sv_minupdaterate 40
// 33TICK: sv_minupdaterate 15
sv_minupdaterate 70

// Max Updates per Sec to the Client
// Should be the Tickrate
sv_maxupdaterate 128

// Min Updates of the Client per Sec
// 128TICK: sv_minupdaterate 70
// 66TICK: sv_mincmdrate 40
// 33TICK: sv_mincmdrate 15
sv_mincmdrate 70

// Max Updates of the Client per Sec
// Should be the Tickrate
sm_cvar sv_maxcmdrate 128

sm_cvar sv_client_cmdrate_difference 30 // Max Difference between cmd and updaterate
sm_cvar cl_updaterate 128 // Should be the Tickrate
sm_cvar cl_cmdrate 128 // Should be the Tickrate

sm_cvar sv_client_min_interp_ratio 0 // Min Value of cl_interp_ratio
sm_cvar sv_client_max_interp_ratio 0 // Max Value of cl_interp_ratio

// ********** Network internal **********

sv_lan 0 // Lan Mode

sv_parallel_packentities 1
sm_cvar net_compresspackets 0
sm_cvar sv_enable_delta_packing 1
sv_parallel_sendsnapshot 0 // Can cause up to 15% Package Loss!
sm_cvar net_earliertempents 1

sm_cvar sv_maxunlag 0.1
sm_cvar net_minroutable 1200
net_splitrate 2
sm_cvar net_maxcleartime 0.001
sm_cvar net_queued_packet_thread 1 // Use a high priority Thread to send queued Packets out instead of sending them each Frame.

net_threaded_socket_burst_cap 1024
net_threaded_socket_recovery_rate 6400
net_threaded_socket_recovery_time 60

Last edited by DJPlaya; 10-29-2017 at 15:54.
Send a message via Skype™ to DJPlaya