Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Multiplications with float

Post New Thread Reply   

condolent
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-29-2017 , 20:02   Multiplications with float
Reply With Quote #1

Hi, when I try to make a multiplication with a float value it tells me there's a tag mismatch for some reason.

PHP Code:
int wonCredits betCredits 0.5
Why does it tell me that and what's the proper way of doing this??
Old 07-29-2017 , 20:22   Re: Multiplications with float
Reply With Quote #2

Edit: I was partially wrong, see Fyren's reply!

It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

It's better to round this value or just straight up cast it to int (use view_as<int>(betCredits * 0.5) for that).
Casting to integer will make it round to floor. So if you bet on 7 credits, you'll win 3 and not 3.5 or 4.
If you want to make it 3.5, change int to float (do not use view_as<type>()).

There's a tag mismatch because you're multiplying an int by a float, which is a different tag (type). You can achieve the same thing but avoid the tag mismatch warning by dividing by 2 (/ 2) instead of multiplying by 0.5.

Last edited by shavit; 07-29-2017 at 22:31.
condolent
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-29-2017 , 20:25   Re: Multiplications with float
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavit View Post
It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

It's better to round this value or just straight up cast it to [tt]int[tt] (use view_as<int>(betCredits * 0.5) for that).
Casting to integer will make it round to floor. So if you bet on 7 credits, you'll win 3 and not 3.5 or 4.
If you want to make it 3.5, change int to float (do not use view_as<type>()).

There's a tag mismatch because you're multiplying an int by a float, which is a different tag (type). You can achieve the same thing but avoid the tag mismatch warning by dividing by 2 (/ 2) instead of multiplying by 0.5.
That's one hell of a good explanation!
Before I did this instead:
PHP Code:
float wonCredits betCredits 0.5
And then where it does something with wonCredits, I just made it RoundToNearest(wonCredits), it's untested but in theory it should work fine if I'm not mistaken
Old 07-29-2017 , 22:23   Re: Multiplications with float
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
It's better to round this value or just straight up cast it to [tt]int[tt] (use view_as<int>(betCredits * 0.5) for that). Casting to integer will make it round to floor.
view_as is not a C-style cast. This won't do what you're suggesting it does. You'll get back the integer representing the bits of the float.

Quote:
Multiplying an int and a float does not result in a tag mismatch, assigning the result to an int does, because the result is a float. Doing an integer division by 2 isn't exactly the same thing since it'll truncate and give you an int back.