Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?

Post New Thread Reply   

Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-02-2016 , 20:54   TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #1

I just started messing-around with the mod "TF2 Classic" (Steam Group, Home Page).

On the client-side, it rides on-top of Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer and on the server-side it works fine under Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server (including under Linux).

However, when I tried to load-up SourceMod, the server crashes - even with just a "stock" SourceMod install. I have tried the latest stable (1.8.x) build for Linux, and the latest development (1.9.x) build, as well as the last working 1.7.3 build (for Linux).

Metamod:Source (v1.10.6) loads fine if I leave SourceMod out of the installation, but as soon as I add SourceMod into the setup, SRCDS crashes.

Obviously, without either (i.e. no addons folder at all) the server runs fine.

At this point wondering if this is some issue with SDK 2013 mods not being supported?

Is anybody else trying to run SourceMod with this TF2Classic Mod on SDK 2013? There do not seem to be many servers for it (single-digits). So, maybe nobody else has really messed with it yet?

PS: I've attached whatever .dmp and/or error logs I could find, but I don't recall from which attempt they are from (i.e SM version 1.7.3, 1.8 or 1.9)
Attached Files
File Type: log errors_20160702.log (323 Bytes, 352 views)
File Type: 7z assert_20160624063924_1.dmp.7z (23.6 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by Weasel; 07-02-2016 at 20:55.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-02-2016 , 20:57   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #2

What is the 'meta game' output?

EDIT: Your attached crash dump is from a SRCDS that MM:S thinks is CS:S...

Last edited by asherkin; 07-02-2016 at 21:00.
Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-02-2016 , 21:01   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
What is the 'meta game' output?
EDIT: Your attached crash dump is from a SRCDS that MM:S thinks is CS:S...
I'll try it again and see what it says. Probably do a clean install, so I know which version(s) for sure I am testing with.
PS: Maybe that was an old dump. I'll clear all those out.

Last edited by Weasel; 07-02-2016 at 21:41.
Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-02-2016 , 22:36   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #4

Update: Not sure what I did differently than before, but "mostly" got it working. More about what I mean by "mostly" a bit further below. But first, here's what I am using:
  • Installed/Validated AppID 244310 = Source SDK Base 2013 Dedicated Server
  • Created a couple of symbolic links to work-around a couple of _srv.so issues in the bin folder, specifically:
    Created a symbolic link soundemittersystem.so, which points to soundemittersystem_srv.so
    Created a symbolic link scenefilecache.so, which points to scenefilecache_srv.so
  • Downloaded the latest version of TF2 Classic Mod, and extracted it - such that the tf2classic folder is in the folder used for the above installation AppID installation.
  • Tested (successfully) an un-modified / stock installation of the game first, using this command-line:
    Code:
    ./srcds_run -debug -game tf2classic -secure +ip 192.223.29.234 -usercon +port 6401 -steamport 7401 +clientport 8401 -nohltv +map ctf_2fort
  • Installed these versions of Metamod:Source and SourceMod:
    Metamod:Source, latest stable: 1.10.6
    SourceMod: latest stable: 1.8.0, git 5916
  • Configured myself as an "admin" in addons/sourcemod/configs/admins_simple.ini
  • Tested (successfully) again a now modified installation of the game (with stock/default SM plug-in's only), using this same command-line:
    Code:
    ./srcds_run -debug -game tf2classic -secure +ip 192.223.29.234 -usercon +port 6401 -steamport 7401 +clientport 8401 -nohltv +map ctf_2fort
  • For whatever reason (presumable I messed something up before), it "mostly" seems to be working fine now.

Sample console output:
Spoiler

PS: Output of "meta game" (forgot to include above):
Spoiler

By "mostly" working, what I mean is that I see at least one weird thing so far. Right now, when I try to use an SM-menu (such as sm_admin in the console), I get a notification in the upper-left-corner saying something like "You have a menu, press ESC", which then allows a GUI-overlay style menu to be seen. I vaugely seem to recall this being the case with an another mod a few years back (probably Fistful of Frags, either before or after it was ported to Steam natively). But, I do not recall if I did anything to fix that in the server configuration? or there was something else that fixed it?

Sample "You have a menu, press ESC" thing:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=716164973

Sample VGUI-style menu for SourceMod?:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=716165024

Last edited by Weasel; 07-02-2016 at 22:45. Reason: Spellin, Grammeh, Formatten, Hip-Hop Kompatabilities
Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-02-2016 , 23:16   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #5

PS: I do still see these errors in the addons/sourcemod/logs/errors_########.log files ...
Code:
L 07/03/2016 - 03:14:48: SourceMod error session started
L 07/03/2016 - 03:14:48: Info (map "ctf_2fort") (file "errors_20160703.log")
L 07/03/2016 - 03:14:48: [SDKTOOLS] Could not locate FireOutput - Disabling detour
L 07/03/2016 - 03:14:48: [SDKTOOLS] Failed to find PlayerRunCmd offset - OnPlayerRunCmd forward disabled.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-03-2016 , 05:34   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #6

That's all because you don't have SourceMod support for TF2Classic, only SDK2013.

Unless TF2Classic are shipping a fixed ClientScheme, Radio Menus wont work with it.
If they are, you'll need gamedata to tell SourceMod that.

EDIT: Although it's a bit wrong that MM:S thinks it's tf2 not sdk2013, that's something that could cause issues in the future.

Last edited by asherkin; 07-03-2016 at 05:35.
Weasel
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-03-2016 , 16:53   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #7

Ok, that makes sense about the menus.
I am not on that mod team, just thought it was an interesting mod to host a server for.
So, I guess I'll have to live with it.
When/if the mod matures, maybe it will be addressed.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 07-04-2016 , 22:59   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
Would this have anything to do with the project using a 2008 TF2 source code leak as its base code? Because that's what it uses. Maybe there's something in their code that causes that? I'm not entirely sure. I mean, the project itself is basically Team Fortress 2, only with a ton of modifications and added stuff, so it somewhat makes sense that Metamod would detect it as TF2. How exactly does Metamod run the check? What does it look for? Maybe TF2Classic needs to have something addressed in its engine coding? Valve OK'd the project using the leaked code, by the way. Figured I'd mention that just incase you would have thought of snipping the leak info out of this post (took them a few months to get back to me about it though).
It's entirely due to it using the same or similar engine version and having the gamedir of "tf".
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 07-05-2016 , 08:56   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
What kind of...or how big of...a problem could this create in the long run? Is it worth submitting an Issue on their Github advising to maybe try changing their gamedir to "tf2c" so that Metamod recognizes it as Source SDK 2013?

EDIT: Well I've linked the current project leader to this thread anyway, mostly as a "keep an eye on this" type of thing until it's known what issues this could cause.
Because the engine that Source SDK 2013 uses is so close to TF2's (as it's just an older version of TF2's), Metamod uses the gamedir to tell them apart. This makes the assumption that no mod will use "tf" (or "cstrike", "dod", "hl2mp") as their gamedir. There are other heuristics we could use, but picked this as it's one of the least likely things to change in the game.

A lesser issue is that much (or all) of the SM gamedata for TF2 checks the "game" rather than the "engine", so bad gamedata may be getting applied due to sharing "tf".
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-05-2016 , 08:58   Re: TF2Classic mod (for Source SDK 2013)?
Reply With Quote #10

FWIW, the mod uses a different gamedir ("tf2classic", at least from the "meta game" output), it's the DT_TFPlayerResource check that's matching and overriding sdk2013.