Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

[Help] Common Problems & General Fixes

Post New Thread Reply   

Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2015 , 09:42   [Help] Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #1

Here's a list of problems and fixes for those problems.

(There is data listed for both server owners and just people who are trying to play the game).

If your problem isn't listed here or you couldn't fix your problem, post a reply.

Remember to include info from any errors in tf/addons/sourcemod/logs/.

---------------------------------

Most of these are pulled from my VSH thread, but I added some extra stuff.

Note: You can reload VSH without restarting the map by using the /hale_reload command. It will restart the map at the end of the next round, or instantly if it's already round-end. This way of reloading also ensures that gameplay will not be affected, if any players are playing.

About updating Sourcemod/Metamod: Don't update SM/MM while your TF2 server is running.

Remember that new snapshots can be uploaded fast - I updated one day, and the next day things broke and there were already 5 new versions of sourcemod.

Fully shut it down first.

---------------------------------

P: [... Ever since an update] My server is crashing.
F: If your server crashes consistently during the start of the first or second round, update TF2Items.

Otherwise, check the list below:

1. Update to the latest Sourcemod snapshot.

Still not fixed?

2. Update to the latest Metamod snapshot.

Still not fixed?

3. Update to the latest TF2Items.

Generally the most important thing to keep up-to-date is Sourcemod itself. (The other two don't get outdated as frequently, but they do sometimes).

P: My server is crashing, even though I already did all the steps above.
F: You most likely have something else crashing your server, not VSH. It could be FF2 though, who knows.

P: My server is not crashing, but the gamemode doesn't start. Nobody becomes the boss like they should. /hale does seem to work, but it doesn't do anything. It's just normal arena.
F: Make sure you have the plugin (VSH or FF2) actually installed.

If you are using any extra plugins, make sure you have the latest version of TF2Attributes, SteamTools or SteamWorks, Goomba Stomp, RTD, or whatever other optional plugins you are using.

If you have VSH/FF2 setup to use those, but they're broken or not running, then it's possible that VSH/FF2 will also stop running until those plugins are functioning again. It's also possible that they won't stop VSH/FF2 (if they're not actually integrated into the main plugin or are integrated in a way that handles it properly).

(Hopefully both will eventually be edited so the integrations are handled properly).

Make sure you have the latest version of Sourcemod, Metamod, TF2Items, though these are more likely to outright crash your server instead of only breaking a single plugin if any of them are outdated.

P: The same player gets selected as the boss every time, everyone is stuck at 0 queue points.
F: This means Sourcemod's clientprefs aren't working. Most likely, you need to update to the latest SM/MM snapshots.

P: All custom files (boss models, voices, and music) are ERROR or silent and do not work.
F: Most likely you have sv_pure activated which disables custom content. Add sv_pure 0 in your server.cfg to deactivate it.

You can also use /cvar sv_pure 0 to temporarily fix it without having to restarting the map.
The command will not permanently fix it, you still have to have it in your server.cfg for it to save.

P: Some bosses are ERROR, some are not, sounds do play.
F: Some people have to completely restart TF2 once for the files they recently downloaded from your server to properly load.

P: Bosses/Sounds are working for me, but they are ERROR for someone else.
F: It is likely that 'someone else' has their Advanced Options set to block downloading of custom content - they need to unset that so they can download custom content.

P: Some bosses are ERROR models, some are not.
F: You may either be: using sv_pure 2 (which would make all models ERROR), or 1 with an incorrect whitelist (make sure to whitelist the VSH files if you are using sv_pure 1); using sv_downloadurl (a fastdownload server) and haven't placed the bz2 files onto your fastdownload server; substituting the actual models and sounds (on the server not the fastdownload) for their bz2 replacements (which will fail horrendously); a client who has set their advanced option downloads to none, therefore not downloading the custom files from the server. If all files have downloaded properly, you may have to restart your client TF2 for them to work.

P: There's missing sounds/textures (The boss is silent, there's purple checkerboard textures instead of normal textures).
F: Navigate to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf

Search for anything with "sound.cache" and delete them. Also check subfolders like tf\custom

Do not delete files such as "tf2_textures.vpk.sound.cache".

This should fix sounds.

The following should fix textures:

Next, in the tf/ folder you will see

tf2_textures_000.vpk to tf2_textures_033.vpk or so.

Delete them all.

Go to Steam//Library, right click Team Fortress 2, select Properties, select Local Files, and Verify Integrity.

This will redownload your textures.

P: Players are getting the "Missing map" error when trying to join the server and can't download the map.
F: Most likely, the download on the server itself is messed up. Make sure the .bsp is on the server itself, and if you use FastDL, the .bz2 is on your FastDL server - don't mix it up.

It's possible that having random upper cased letters in the map can screw up the download. Try to make sure to always use lowercase filenames.

If you are sure it's set up properly on the server itself, then the client trying to join has to manually download the map and place the .bsp in tf/download/maps.

P: Players are getting the "Map differs from the server's" error when trying to join the server and can't download the map.
F: The player has to go to tf/download/maps and delete the map mentioned in the error.

P: Missing map maps/vsh_mapnamehere.bsp, disconnecting
Host_Error: Map is missing
F: Either you don't have vsh_mapnamehere.bsp in tf/maps, or you don't have vsh_mapnamehere.bsp.bz2 in your fastdl /maps/ directory on the game server.

P: Some files are being re-downloaded every time anyone joins.
F: That means the file is not actually on the server at all, which makes the client try to download it every time because they don't actually download anything.

P: There are broken fonts/squares in-game.
F: steam://openurl/http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3120642

Go to your desktop.
Right click ->
New -> Text Document

Name it "きぼう.txt"

Inside the file put in "きぼう" and save it.

When saving, in the bottom right corner will be a "Encoding" option. Change this to Unicode.

Basically, having a file with unicode characters in it on the desktop forces your computer to load a proper character set every time it starts up. Or something like that. All I know is that it will permanently fix your problem (as long as you have that file there).

(The contents of the file are arbitrary).

P: HUD is very glitchy and the game is lagging a lot.
F: Somehow your hud must have gotten messed up.
Go into console and type hud_reloadscheme.
This should fix both your HUD and possibly the lag.

If not, you simply have high ping and should consider restarting your router.
Or you simply live too far away to have a fast connection.

P: Queue points are not working and/or players' music on/off settings are not being saved properly.
F: Make sure the ClientPrefs extension that comes with SourceMod is enabled, else queue points and other settings won't work properly, as that is what they use. (Note: clientprefs.smx itself is not necessary for it to work - that only enables the /cookie menu).

P: The boss / some players became invisible (for a single person).
F: Type "record fix; stop" in console. This should fix it even while in the middle of playing.

P: The boss is invisible to everyone (normal mercenaries are visible), after an update.
F: In this case it's likely that a Valve update messed up the model and a new fixed version needs to be made.

P: My convars aren't being set even though I've put them in server.cfg.
F: You've got to edit tf/cfg/sourcemod/SaxtonHale.cfg instead.

P: How do I make koth_ maps work with this mod?
F: Read this.

P: How do I disable these chat messages about the plugin?
F: Set the convar hale_announce to 0.

Last edited by Chdata; 09-13-2015 at 07:58.
Akuba
Old 07-10-2015 , 11:56   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
P: The boss / some players became invisible (for a single person).
F: Type "record fix; stop" in console. This should fix it even while in the middle of playing.
I wonder if you can force this on a client. So you can make a command like /fix that does this step for you. This will make it easier to explain players that have no clue what a console is (or in general).
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2015 , 12:06   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #3

record is used for recording demos, so most likely it's client side

Replicating whatever record refreshes when you stop it? dunno.

Last edited by Chdata; 07-10-2015 at 12:06.
xXDeathreusXx
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2015 , 18:26   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
record is used for recording demos, so most likely it's client side

Replicating whatever record refreshes when you stop it? dunno.
FakeClientCommand

Can make a client do anything that the console will allow them to do, even pull off cheats with some special circumstantial coding(How do you think noclip works?)

I'm a smartass by nature, get used to it

Last edited by xXDeathreusXx; 07-10-2015 at 18:27.
WakaFlocka
Old 07-10-2015 , 22:36   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #5

I Updated Sourcemod, Metamod, TF2 items And TF2 Attributes i also chmod 777 materials models sound and my materials, models and sound are not working yes it's in fastdl my server.cfg also has sv_pure 0. I literaly did everything so why is everything missing i really really don't understand can someone add me on steam and help me out here's my Steam id http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wakafloccka/

Note: My server is a Linux if this helps
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2015 , 00:40   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #6

PM me your sv_downloadurl

Did you check your advanced options
Old 07-11-2015 , 00:40   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDeathreusXx View Post
FakeClientCommand

Can make a client do anything that the console will allow them to do, even pull off cheats with some special circumstantial coding(How do you think noclip works?)
Even slot2 ? +attack? +reload? whatever . is binded to that opens the change class menu?

Last edited by Chdata; 07-11-2015 at 00:43.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2015 , 03:08   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I Updated Sourcemod, Metamod, TF2 items And TF2 Attributes i also chmod 777 materials models sound and my materials, models and sound are not working yes it's in fastdl my server.cfg also has sv_pure 0. I literaly did everything so why is everything missing i really really don't understand can someone add me on steam and help me out here's my Steam id http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wakafloccka/

Note: My server is a Linux if this helps
The problem is that you put .wav / .mdl / .etc in your FastDL server. You are only supposed to put compressed .bz2 files there.

sv_downloadurl is for FastDL files only, not normal ones.
Old 07-11-2015 , 04:29   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
The problem is that you put .wav / .mdl / .etc in your FastDL server. You are only supposed to put compressed .bz2 files there.

sv_downloadurl is for FastDL files only, not normal ones.

what do you mean how do you know you don't have access to my fastdl all my files are bz2
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2015 , 06:02   Re: Common Problems & General Fixes
Reply With Quote #10

I looked at the sv_downloadurl you sent me yourself. The files at your FastDL link are not .bz2.