Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository

Post New Thread Reply   

rtk
Old 03-24-2014 , 18:36   Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #1

Sorry if this is a known issue but I've been distant lately.

For some reason most sound files from my TF2 servers that worked for years now stopped working a few weeks ago.
PHP Code:
Failed to load sound "custom\soundclip.mp3"file probably missing from disk/repository 
Only a few players seem to be able to hear them.
I've been doing this for long enough but such problem is completely new to me.
The files are where they should and can be played except through the game.

I tried to play it on the client console directly but it doesn't work either.
Code:
] play custom\soundclip.mp3
Failed to load sound "custom\soundclip.mp3", file probably missing from disk/repository
So the problem seems to be with the file itself, not with the bitrate, format, Sourcemod, DownloadsTable, Precache, etc...

Tried to download the files again from 2 different servers with sv_pure 0 and -1. It didn't fix it.
Then I copied the files directly from the sv_downloadurl repository to my tf directory. It did not work either.

This is where I get really confused. The only file that works is a clip that I uploaded a few days ago.

Someone please tell me what is going on ?

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014 , 18:41   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #2

Now I renamed the folder of the sounds and everything works fine. I'm very very confused.
I'll have to make the clients download it all over again for a reason I dont even understand.

Last edited by rtk; 03-24-2014 at 18:42.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 03-24-2014 , 18:57   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #3

ya, the custom folder is special in tf2:
custom\<Random folder name here>\<folder name that matches exactly as if it was in the tf folder(eg the sounds folder>\<path to destination>\<file name here>
rtk
Old 03-24-2014 , 19:36   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #4

Sorry, my actual folder isn't named "custom", it's "mgaming" but if I rename it to something else it works. It always worked, why would this folder be special now ?

EDIT: Apparently it doesn't play after re-downloaded from the server with a different name.

Last edited by rtk; 03-27-2014 at 10:03.
Ade
I love purple
Old 03-27-2014 , 03:54   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #5

what he means is, client side, it's not enough to put it in ur tf2 folder; after steampipe, all the custom shit goes into /custom/<some custom name folder>/<whatever structure you would have in ur main tf2 folder>

eg: /custom/_my_custom_shit/sounds/rtksounds/soundclip.mp3 if you would have that fodler and that file on ur server and u want to put them manually;
if not then after server download they would automatically go in:
/download/sounds/rtksounds/soundclip.mp3
Old 03-27-2014 , 06:43   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #6

here's my folder structure for a custom hitsound I'm using(I just placed it with pvhud):
/home/wildcard65/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/custom/pvhud/sound/ui/hitsound.wav
rtk
Old 03-27-2014 , 10:02   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #7

I dont think we're talking about the same thing.
I've been doing this for quite a while and know where to put things.
This has worked for long after steampipe, it just stopped working earlier this year!
I believe due to some update because I haven't changed anything.

Let me try to explain again:
None of several sound clips inside a specific folder play when downloaded from the server, even after renaming the folder, making the clients re-download it again to a new directory.

Other folders seem to play just fine, like saxton_hale\*

By play I mean using the "play" command client-side. (The plugin uses ClientCommand())
It doesn't seem this is related with sv_pure.

I dont understand why this particular folder is the only whose sounds dont play, even after renaming and re-downloading. It has more than 100 mp3 files inside, could that be it ?

Any idea ?

Last edited by rtk; 03-27-2014 at 10:05.
rtk
Old 03-27-2014 , 10:18   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #8

I tried again and now some files play, others dont.
I have no clue what the hell is going on.
I now have the feeling that files downloaded when the server has sv_pure 2 get somehow "corrupted" and will never play. Othewise, if downloaded with sv_pure -1 they only play sometimes. This is really strange.
Veteran Member
Old 03-27-2014 , 11:33   Re: Failed to load sound / missing from disk/repository
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtk View Post
I tried again and now some files play, others dont.
I have no clue what the hell is going on.
I now have the feeling that files downloaded when the server has sv_pure 2 get somehow "corrupted" and will never play. Othewise, if downloaded with sv_pure -1 they only play sometimes. This is really strange.
sv_pure 2 will force players to use only Steam files, nothing custom.

To allow players use some custom skins and to use server custom files, use sv_pure 1 + ...cfg/pure_server_whitelist.txt

sv_pure 0 again limit is small, restrict players to use player and weapons world view skins and models. But they can use material "cheats" however

sv_pure -1 disable, you should not run server like this. Players can use very easy material "cheats"

About your sound problem, are those files wav or mp3 ? And which plugin play those ?

*edit
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showpo...7&postcount=12
if you are sure, you did download that file and found from your game files.
type in your own game console snd_restart to try reload it.

Last edited by Bacardi; 03-27-2014 at 11:37.