Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP

Post New Thread Reply   

thetwistedpanda
Good Little Panda
Old 08-03-2013 , 21:32   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #21

Most of the code is so bad it'd be easier to just rewrite.
Old 08-03-2013 , 21:54   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by necavi View Post
A lot of times it ends up being quite a bit easier to rewrite a project and not have a lot of dead, hard to understand code lying around than to try to maintain it.
ah, I see,
but I still think 200 would be a wayy better offer hehe.

Last edited by Wazman; 08-03-2013 at 21:54.
Marcus_Brown001
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-03-2013 , 22:10   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #23

It was/is easier to rewrite it. EasSidez's Mod, which is the most popular HL2DM:RP mod right now, is stock with nineteen thousand lines of code. To be paid to sift through that, convert it from KeyValues to MySQL/SQLite, fix any and all bugs, and have a nice, working plugin at the end you are probably looking at 100-150 hours of work minimum; I have been working on this plugin for all of a month and would say I am an easy 70-80% completed and by my count I am already 120 hours into it (and I am at approximately 6,576 lines split between three plugins).

My starting offer was going to be two hundred dollars; it is a fair price and I am not someone who programs for money, usually. I started remaking this before Cody made the offer to buy it, and I am going to finish it regardless. It has needed to be done for god only knows how long, and it is something that I have wanted to do for years now. Now that I am able, it is getting done.
sdz
Old 08-13-2013 , 14:52   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #24

So its my turn to join the party...

So I probably should have said this earlier, but it's mainly the save.txt KV's Database which is getting unstable, which is why I made a privatized SQLite version already. Marcus has HIS RP Mod, which beats mine due to the unusal nature of its own gameplay. The best i'll do is Save.txt in SQLite, nothing more needs to be added.

$75 works.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-14-2013 , 06:55   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #25

I personally think the best idea here is to go with the version Marcus is making. It is likely more optimized, and will likely stay that way, and as it's something he's passionate about, I think it may be likely that he will actively keep it updated. Regardless of whether he charges 75$, or more, or just releases it for free.

Last edited by Skyy; 08-14-2013 at 06:57.
Marcus_Brown001
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-14-2013 , 17:55   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #26

Eh ..... I have not been able to touch a line of it in over 2 weeks; it is actually starting to annoy me. I was hoping to be able to find some time for it this week, but with how this week is going so far it's a no-go. It is actually pretty sad, I only have to add two more features and the mod is into a beta stage. From there I would just need to find any and all bugs and fix them up.
Skyy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-15-2013 , 08:14   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #27

I have confidence in your development, Marcus. You'll have a chance to finish it, eventually.
Here's the way I see it, lol.

He could pay 75$ for a "pc console port"
He could wait and pay you (if you charge anything) for a "built for the actual platform."

Ever played one of those crappy, quickly thrown together console ports on your pc? Lacking support? Everything doesn't work right; Buggy? Wish you could sell it back?
Old 10-03-2013 , 15:11   Re: [Paying Job] ReCode of HL2DM RP
Reply With Quote #28

reply to my inbox asap. here is your business