Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Report server concerns

Post New Thread Reply   

Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-06-2011 , 10:34   Report server concerns
Reply With Quote #1

Now..not that I am personally worried about it as I run good servers, but reading all the flak lately about users just going into servers and randomly pressing F7 to report servers for just something they don't like or just to be little butt holes, I would think something like this would be useful even good servers. This would avoid issues down the road on many levels.

So Lets see if someone can put this together..

Last edited by Horsedick; 11-06-2011 at 16:59.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-06-2011 , 12:13   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #2

No.
Old 11-06-2011 , 14:13   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #3

As an alternative to blocking this which may or may not be a bad thing towards valve.... how about an option/plugin designed to tell Admins via a log file that someone reported them so they can hook up with that user and get a explaination how to make server better or change something they didn't like.

Maybe log this file with username - steamid and such so you can use this information to get in touch with the user or at the very least compare it with other server admins about an abuse user abusing the system as it was designed to do.
Afronanny
Veteran Member
Old 11-06-2011 , 16:18   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #4

No.
ducks
Horsedick
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-06-2011 , 16:58   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afronanny View Post
No.
ducks
whats the ducks mean?

Blocking is a no but what about having a way to create a log of those that do use this feature on you're servers, I think its only fair to know whats going on at all times on your server. I'm sure it utilizes the server in some form to gather data so its possible to capture this.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 11-06-2011 , 18:02   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #6

Good luck.

The server has no knowledge of any of it, let alone the ability to block it.

It's strictly between the client and the GC ("item server").
Dravu
Old 11-07-2011 , 00:16   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #7

You have to realize that while you personally may have good intentions, malicious server owners would turn around and use the same plugin themselves. Playing ignorant to that little bit of information and putting control into the hands of server owners would make this system completely useless.
ConkertheCat
Old 11-07-2011 , 02:45   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #8

Guys....look at his user name....how can you take anything he says seriously... ._.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 11-07-2011 , 09:58   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConkertheCat View Post
Guys....look at his user name....how can you take anything he says seriously... ._.
Maybe he/she just like horses.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-07-2011 , 11:40   Re: [Idea] Plugin to block OR LOG the Report Server Feature
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravu View Post
You have to realize that while you personally may have good intentions, malicious server owners would turn around and use the same plugin themselves. Playing ignorant to that little bit of information and putting control into the hands of server owners would make this system completely useless.
Ohh I've thought it thru pretty good...but just because we can use a gun doesn't mean you have the right to shoot someone when you please.

As for my nickname... ignore it, this is a serious discussion about a plugin or log feature. If there isn't a way to block it which is fine and I understand the reason for not wanting to create it or have it available at least have a way to log them to give a server admin a chance to confront the user about their complaints. As it stands now you can just join server after server and press F7 all day long or the same one over and over again which may or may not become a issue for that server - Valve hasn't made it known its intentions or how it will police these reports. It's fair to say that the community as a whole needs to protect its rights if it's going to put the resources into a server and let players join. Now if that player doesn't agree with the setup or how things are run and they complain then it still should allow the Administrator/owner of that server the ability to contest the problem or at the very least add that users SteamID to a ban log to prevent them from rejoining and reporting over and over.