Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Need help: reading out CVAR doesn't return expected result

Post New Thread Reply   

BAILOPAN
Old 09-22-2005 , 21:14  
Reply With Quote #11

Yes, that's the case. The server won't always execute cfgs right away. This is what server_exec() is for, flushing the execution buffer, I think.

But using it is dangerous, if there's no buffer, it'll crash. I think you're only supposed to use it after execing config files.
Old 09-23-2005 , 04:44  
Reply With Quote #12

you could try delaying execution of the get_cvar_* functions for a second or two by using set_task, but then you'd have to make sure that the script stays inactive until this task has been executed... this way the server would at least have time to exec the config.

Greetz MGee
Send a message via ICQ to MistaGee
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 09-23-2005 , 05:30  
Reply With Quote #13

You could also parse the config file yourself. I did this very thing in my Restrict Names plugin.

For another example of the exact same thing, you could check out Anti-Bigot which is the plugin where I initially stole the code for reading the config file.
azrael
Old 09-23-2005 , 08:29  
Reply With Quote #14

Thank you all for your valuable input! I'll probably fall back on Brad's suggestion of parsing the config file myself. Seems like the best way to go about it. I might give server_exec() a whirl too... It may just do the trick in my case...

Regards,
az
Old 09-23-2005 , 10:38  
Reply With Quote #15

Well, seems like server_exec() does the trick all by itself. What are the odds of a crash if I call it right after executing the config file in plugin_init()?

I'm going to keep the read out in plugin_cfg(), just to have a bit more time between changing the CVARs via the config file and the subsequent read out.

Regards and thanks for the help,
az
Old 09-23-2005 , 10:44  
Reply With Quote #16

It shouldn't crash if you've just use an "exec" server command or in plugin_init, because the buffer is re-flushed after plugin_init anyway (I think). PM would know this better than I...
Old 09-24-2005 , 06:44  
Reply With Quote #17

BTW: Just to make sure the globals are up-to-date everytime you need 'em, you could as well write the get_cvar_*'s into an own function like this:

Code:
void:readcvars(){ get_cvar_*("blah"); ... ... ... }

and call this function in every other function that uses the cvars.

Greetz MGee
Send a message via ICQ to MistaGee
azrael
Old 09-24-2005 , 21:47  
Reply With Quote #18

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't believe it will be necessary. The server_exec() command that BAILOPAN suggested works like a charm and the only time those values have to be "up to date" is when the plugin is loaded.

/az