3% 

[L4D2] Player Switch Menu and Team Panel v1.2.1

Post New Thread Reply   

Skorpion1976
Veteran Member
Old 03-06-2011 , 06:17   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #21

thanks! I am testing this very moment
Both works fine! I could test it only with 1 tank so far. "Judging" from the code it should add the postfix to everyone who is tank, right?

Question: Do you also see an ID value after a REAL players name, like this: "Skorpion1976 (1)", in the teams panel? Is this the Client ID? Any clue why this is visible?

Last edited by Skorpion1976; 03-06-2011 at 06:39.
seattle_ice
Old 03-06-2011 , 16:45   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorpion1976 View Post
it should add the postfix to everyone who is tank, right?

Question: Do you also see an ID value after a REAL players name, like this: "Skorpion1976 (1)", in the teams panel? Is this the Client ID? Any clue why this is visible?
It should add the [Tank] suffix to any players that are a tank at that moment.

I show the id primarily because for many of our server/plugin/admin functions, it is much easier to type "3" than "-=BwA=- IHaveALongDorkyName" as the argument, so it allows me to see the clientid's for the players easily.

I could probably add a convar to allow you to turn it on or off, or you could just modify the code if you want.
Skorpion1976
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2011 , 10:40   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #23

I want to turn it off. What do I have to change in the code to not show the (1) anymore?
PpZ | Iconoclast
Old 03-07-2011 , 11:00   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #24

I'm wondering if there is any way you can disable the messages that appear in the chatbox when players are switched?

For some reason I sometimes get switched to the other team when the next chapter loads and I have to use the "Swap Two Players" function to switch myself with whoever got put on my team...it works great, but it makes a few lines appear in the chatbox, saying that "PlayerX was switched with PlayerY", etc.

Is there some way that you can disable (or have a cvar that will disable) this text from appearing at all in the chatbox?
Old 03-07-2011 , 11:05   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #25

you could comment the corresponding lines out, by // PrintToChat...
Simply copy parts of the chat into the search window in your editor and look for the corresponding code line. then you put "//" in front of the Print... .

Edit:

PrintToChatAll("\x03[JBTP]\x01 \x04%N \x01has been swapped with \x04%N", swapplayer1, swapplayer2);
change to:
//PrintToChatAll("\x03[JBTP]\x01 \x04%N \x01has been swapped with \x04%N", swapplayer1, swapplayer2);

Same for all other "PrintToChat..." in the code.

Last edited by Skorpion1976; 03-07-2011 at 11:08.
PpZ | Iconoclast
Old 03-07-2011 , 11:08   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
you could comment the corresponding lines out, by // PrintToChat...
Simply copy parts of the chat into the search window in your editor and look for the corresponding code line. then you put "//" in front of the Print... commands.

Edit:

PrintToChatAll("\x03[JBTP]\x01 \x04%N \x01has been swapped with \x04%N", swapplayer1, swapplayer2);
change to:
//PrintToChatAll("\x03[JBTP]\x01 \x04%N \x01has been swapped with \x04%N", swapplayer1, swapplayer2);
Hey...thanks for the tip! I don't actually know anything when it comes to coding though...is there a way this could be added in a future update! I would love that!
Old 03-07-2011 , 11:12   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #27

Broadcasting information to players can be considered as spam or crucial. Depends on what and how often something gets written in the chat. I donīt know any plugin which allows me to switch the PrintToChat(All) statements on or off, like a switch. But that does not mean it is not possible. You as an admin can swap yourself with someone else, so you know that you got swapped. If you swap 2 guys who donīt know what happened, they should have at least the possibility to see in the chat that they got swapped
PpZ | Iconoclast
Old 03-07-2011 , 11:25   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #28

Quote:
You as an admin can swap yourself with someone else, so you know that you got swapped. If you swap 2 guys who donīt know what happened, they should have at least the possibility to see in the chat that they got swapped
I agree - which is why I only use the Swap feature when I need to - in other words, if I or someone on my team gets swapped to the enemy team between rounds unintentionally, then it's certainly a handy ability to have. I do not use it to switch players whenever I feel like it.

I have two main reasons for not wanting the text to appear in the chatbox the way it currently does:
1) Every time I swap two players, it fills 3 lines of text in the chatbox...and instead of being as simple as "PlayerX was switched with PlayerY", it has coloured text (synonymous with a modded server - which not very many people like) and looks a lot more wordy and also has plugin tags that precede the text. In other words, yes, it looks very much like spam.
2) I find that there's a surprising number of people who use some sort of hack or aimbot/aim-assist in L4D2 these days...but these kind of people usually leave the server if they know an admin is online. I'd much rather wait until I've seen enough proof to kick/ban them from the server than have them leave and go do the same thing somewhere else.

That is why I would like to be able to completely disable the chatbox text when swapping two players.

Or, if it is easier, could you just change the message that gets put in the chatbox to this:

Quote:
"x" was swapped with "y"
Where "x" and "y" are obviously replaced with the names of the players being switched - no plugin tags, and no text colours...just a simple line of text just like that?
Old 03-07-2011 , 12:29   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PpZ | Iconoclast View Post
.... Where "x" and "y" are obviously replaced with the names of the players being switched - no plugin tags, and no text colours...just a simple line of text just like that?
I will consider adding a convar "switch" for the messages.
seattle_ice
Old 03-09-2011 , 12:15   Re: L4D2 Player Switch Menu and Team Panel
Reply With Quote #30

Iconoclast (and anyone else that wants it), I added a new cvar to control the format and frequency of the chat messages.

[ADDED] - cvar 'l4d2_BwA_Print_Chat_MsgType'

Determine the type and frequency of information printed to the in game chat [0 = none|1 = simple messages|2 = verbose color coded messages]

The plugin does not create a config, so just add it to your server.cfg.