Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Stack Exchange Q&A site proposal: Game Servers

Post New Thread Reply   

StevoTVR
Old 07-11-2010 , 17:33   Stack Exchange Q&A site proposal: Game Servers
Reply With Quote #1

StackExchange (the thing that powers StackOverflow) is accepting proposals for new Q&A sites. So I submitted one for game servers. I thought it was a good idea since the topic isn't really covered yet in this format.

Anyway, in order to get to the next stage it needs to get 60 followers. We're especially interested in experts at this stage, so if you consider yourself an expert at running game servers, this is definitely for you.

So if you like the idea, you can help out by following via the link below. You can further help by submitting example on- and off-topic questions to define the site.

http://area51.stackexchange.com/prop...mJUZvrx04eTvg2

If you aren't familiar with this type of site, it is basically a Q&A site that allows users to ask and answer question. Good answers are voted up until the best answer is chosen. This helps people looking for answers in the future to sift through the noise. I think it's a perfect format for game server questions.

Thanks,
StevoTVR

Last edited by StevoTVR; 07-19-2010 at 23:44. Reason: More descriptive title
devicenull
Veteran Member
Old 07-11-2010 , 19:25   Re: StackExchange for Game Servers
Reply With Quote #2

The problem is, people running game servers don't bother searching at all. They expect everything to be done for them, so they don't bother to read.

I really can't see it working too well, all this information is already available easily in a bunch of places.
Old 07-11-2010 , 19:35   Re: StackExchange for Game Servers
Reply With Quote #3

That's probably true about a lot of people, but this should provide and easier way to get answers for those that bother looking. I know that when I have a question I hate searching forums. You usually have to dig through several pages in a thread before getting a complete answer if one even exists. In this format, ideally the best answer will be right on top.

Of course it's hard to know how it will work in practice, but I think it's worth a try.
StevoTVR
Old 07-19-2010 , 23:46   Re: Stack Exchange Q&A site proposal: Game Servers
Reply With Quote #4

We're sitting at 22 followers right now. That's a start.

Does anyone know of any other forums that might be interested in this?
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 07-24-2010 , 20:14   Re: Stack Exchange Q&A site proposal: Game Servers
Reply With Quote #5

I would say es but if they were interested in logic and reason they would not be using that mod...

Have your tried srcds.com I plan to check it out when I am back from vacation.