Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP

Post New Thread Reply   

'-_-'<3zok<3'-_-'
Old 06-21-2010 , 11:29   [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #1

Hey im hosting servers for some clans and i want my clients to use FTP to acsess their server folders but i have not yet found the right FTP server software to use before i used filezilla ('On Win'), now when i use Linux i cant find any FTP software to use and i need it right away.

//Needs!""
i need the same funcs as in Filezilla
I need a server With GUI!

If you know any good software please replay!

; zok
Send a message via Skype™ to '-_-'<3zok<3'-_-'
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 06-21-2010 , 11:32   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #2

SFTP should be installed by default on your dedi as it normally is, just use that. Filezilla is able to connect using SFTP.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
'-_-'<3zok<3'-_-'
Old 06-21-2010 , 11:35   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
SFTP should be installed by default on your dedi as it normally is, just use that. Filezilla is able to connect using SFTP.
im using ubuntu, filezilla aint working on ubuntu cant run it with wine. i do not need high security yet not going big scale just a little hobby
YamiKaitou
Old 06-21-2010 , 11:41   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #4

It seems you have no idea what you are doing. From your PC (NOT THE SERVER), use Filezilla to connect to your box using SFTP (port is the same as your SSH port, default is 22).

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
'-_-'<3zok<3'-_-'
Old 06-21-2010 , 12:14   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #5

i know what im doing. i just cant explain what i need -.-im the host and no there aint any software that does the jobb i like it simple. i belive you dont understand what i ment >.< i just totaly suck at explaining
YamiKaitou
Old 06-21-2010 , 12:41   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #6

Have you tried connecting to your server's SFTP app from your PC yet? If it doesn't work, then read this.
Quote:
First off, you have to configure your linux machine to allow sftp. You can do this at /etc/ssh

Open up sshd_config with your editor of choice, like nano or something.

You can change things like the port you enter through, and whether or not you can log in as root through sftp.

Then you just use something like FileZilla or whatever your FTP client is. The host is sftp://serverIP (for example, sftp://192.168.0.4 if your machine is on a home network), username and password are a username and password you use on your machine. Make sure you change the port, too - default ftp port is 21, but default sftp port is 22.

If you, for whatever reason, require FTP, then search the Ubuntu docs, I'm sure there are guides on how to install and setup FTP applications on the server. Examples are ProFTPD and Pure-FTPd. I have only used them when I have had shared hosting, I have never tried to install/configure them myself, so if you want to use them, read their respected manuals

'-_-'<3zok<3'-_-'
Old 06-22-2010 , 08:38   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #7

yes it is many tuts on how to but it is rt'ed to install them none of em worked rright and i need some thing with a regular GUI, so i dont have to enter the cmd lines. i allways manage to screw them up in all sorts of ways ^-^ but ill trye some more, my ubuntu didnt come with the sftp thing -.-
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2010 , 12:35   Re: [Question] Linux Server Hosting. FTP
Reply With Quote #8

Yes, it did. And if you didn't screw it up too much, then it's listening on port 22. If it doesn't:
Code:
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
man ssh
Help yourself, read this.

If you need a server with a GUI, get Windows.