8% 

Non-Steam = No Support

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Seta00
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 04-14-2010 , 08:40   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
obviously is to make steamdid to player be passed thru valve not the game server, that's the only one reliable way

status cmd->ask valve server-> get response from valve server without touching gameserver anyhow
LOL. So the client authenticates itself to Valve, then it's able to connect to your server, then you can't use the authentication information on your server. Great!

The point here is the information at server-side. There's no way to avoid that.
Owyn
Veteran Member
Old 04-14-2010 , 09:08   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
you can't use the authentication information on your server
you have nice imagination

*why not also give auth info to server?*
Израильский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе задают вопрос.
Русский форум - Задаёшь вопрос, потом тебе долго рассказывают, какой ты мудак.
Send a message via ICQ to Owyn
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 04-14-2010 , 10:11   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
Seta00, of course I didn't test it. Maybe Joaquim or others can explain if it will affect VAC bans.
Since VAC bans by account and not SteamID, I doubt this will affect VAC as VAC status is checked on the account during authorization of the account during the connection process.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
Seta00
The Seta00 user has crashed.
Old 04-14-2010 , 18:47   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
*why not also give auth info to server?*
Hahah, I think you missed the point where SteamID is auth info.
It's already being given to the server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
Since VAC bans by account and not SteamID, I doubt this will affect VAC as VAC status is checked on the account during authorization of the account during the connection process.
I see.
Spunky
Old 04-14-2010 , 20:42   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

You completely misunderstood Yami. He was saying they aren't the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou
Since VAC bans by account and not SteamID
Send a message via AIM to Spunky
stupok
Veteran Member
Old 04-14-2010 , 20:44   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

As usual, joaquimandrade is right:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquimandrade View Post
Harm? What harm?
His plugin is totally harmless. SteamBans was broken before he released the AMXX plugin anyway.

The solution for SteamBans is to find a better identification for the players or to accept reports only from trusted servers that do not run steamid-changers. It's silly to think that censoring Joaquim's plugin will do anything to 'protect' the community.

I would like it to be brought back from the dead. STEAM_0:0:80085 and 1337 for everyone!
Old 04-14-2010 , 21:15   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupok View Post
As usual, joaquimandrade is right:

His plugin is totally harmless. SteamBans was broken before he released the AMXX plugin anyway.

The solution for SteamBans is to find a better identification for the players or to accept reports only from trusted servers that do not run steamid-changers. It's silly to think that censoring Joaquim's plugin will do anything to 'protect' the community.

I would like it to be brought back from the dead. STEAM_0:0:80085 and 1337 for everyone!
SteamBans is an illegally closed-source software package, whereas joaquim's isn't. The answer to this whole thing seems pretty obvious to me.
Squirrel of Fortune
Old 04-15-2010 , 14:33   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

BAIL allowed us to hold the plugin source secure. Sorry.

Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 04-15-2010 , 17:20   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekay View Post
BAIL allowed us to hold the plugin source secure. Sorry.
Okay, but it's still closed source, which sucks. If there are exploits for it, it's probably better to just let people have at it so you can fix it, instead of sweeping the problems under the rug and thinking that nobody knows how to reverse-engineer stuff.

EDIT: I just remembered I called your ass out on this a long time ago.
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 04-15-2010 , 17:36   Re: Non-Steam = No Support

I'd also like to take the time to basically stand up and ask what the hell is wrong with all of you. Just to get this out of the way, non-Steam robs Valve of money, makes it harder for us to support our work, and I'm all in favor of banning people who can't speak English fluently. I'm also not going to say that non-Steam users shouldn't be banned.

But why are you going on witch hunts, carefully scanning through screenshots and the way people write their messages to see if they're using non-Steam? Wasn't the original intention of this policy just basically to make it easier for us to support people? Almost every day, I get a "Reported Post" email with a description like "non-Steam user." It isn't our job to be Valve's internet police, and it wouldn't even occur to me for us to be just that, considering how much Valve shafts us as a community (especially the SM part of AM).

I think it really got out of control when ot_207 was banned. What the hell was that all about? It was never even really proven, anyway. I had him on Steam Friends, so at the very most, all he was doing was using both non-Steam and Steam side-by-side. Why is YamiKaitou spending hours on end looking for people who may possibly be using non-Steam just so that they can be banned? Why are productive members of this community being kicked out permanently because we suspect that they may have stolen some software? Like none of you have ever used torrents or p2p networks before, anyway.

I think you all have really lost your way and your understanding of what this community should be doing. If we spent all of the time we spend finding non-Steam users and instead devoted it to learning scripting or writing plugins, we'd have much more publicly available software and probably many more helpful users like ot_207. Not to mention the fact that you'd actually learn something if you did that, instead of blowing it on ruining a community.

What really baffles me is that I seem to be the only one who thinks this. I mentioned it a few times before and it basically fell on deaf ears. Are you really so unproductive and useless to this community that you try to pretend that you're not by just looking for people to ban?