Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

QUESTION: eventscripts_noisy 0-- why are you enabling it?

Post New Thread Reply   

Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2005 , 10:53   QUESTION: eventscripts_noisy 0-- why are you enabling it?
Reply With Quote #1

This variable defaults to 0, and that's my recommended value.

I keep seeing people enabling eventscripts_noisy when I can't tell why they wish to do so? This setting can potentially slow down your server because there are a handful of events that fire constantly that you'd rarely need with eventscripts. There are only four events enabled by setting the value to 1:
  • player_footstep
    bullet_impact (when bullets hit walls)
    weapon_reload
    weapon_fire
Now, these events probably don't slow down the server immensely, but they will add milliseconds to each and every time a player takes a step, hits the wall with a shotgun pellet, reloads their gun, fires their gun, etc. I put them behind a variable to improve server performance, and I recommend you keep it set to 0 unless you need these events.

These 4 events might be handy for some scripts, but they are probably not things people should enable by default.

Does anyone have any scripts that actually use these four events?
-Mattie
blade81
Old 05-27-2005 , 18:04  
Reply With Quote #2

Does bullet_impact not fire on players too? I used it sometimes maybe I have forget to turn it off.
evil
Old 05-27-2005 , 18:58  
Reply With Quote #3

I've been experimenting with an alternative to weapon restricting (on maps where the weapons are placed around the map, rather than people having to buy them).

I guess that's the only reason I use it, currently. But when I have time, I'll probably be messing around with more scripts that need it enabled.
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2005 , 21:30  
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade81
Does bullet_impact not fire on players too? I used it sometimes maybe I have forget to turn it off.
bullet_impact only fires for wall hits. player_hurt triggers for players.

-Mattie
karumba
Old 06-08-2005 , 08:39  
Reply With Quote #5

recently i used it for an AFK script. i used the footsteps & the time command for that. if a player didn't moved for 2 minutes it was switched to spec.

was easy to code, but the server cpu time was quite high for that
Mattie
Veteran Member
Old 06-08-2005 , 09:37  
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba
recently i used it for an AFK script. i used the footsteps & the time command for that. if a player didn't moved for 2 minutes it was switched to spec.

was easy to code, but the server cpu time was quite high for that
Yeah, player_footstep fires *constantly* so any script there would have to be extremely small to prevent the server from lagging. I'd be curious to see the scripts, if you happened to have them handy.

-Mattie