Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

List of minimum files required?

Post New Thread Reply   

jcarle
Old 01-24-2008 , 08:56   List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #1

I was wondering if there was some sort of list or if anyone knew which files were the bare minimum required to operate SourceMod? I want to remove everything that came with it except what I need to write my own plugins.

(Yes, I'm aware that it will break a lot of plugins because they rely on some of the base plugins, I just don't want to break SourceMod itself.)
KMFrog
Old 01-24-2008 , 11:12   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #2

you need:
/sourcemod/bin/*
/sourcemod/extensions/*
/sourcemod/gamedata/*

I would recommend keeping some of the files in the config dir too, but you could get away with removing it and just rely on the SM defaults (remember GeoIP is in there).
Old 01-24-2008 , 15:59   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #3

You can remove whatever you want as long as you don't need it, the only things absolutely required are in bin. If you're doing development you will probably need one or more extensions.
Old 01-24-2008 , 22:22   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #4

Bailopan, just wanted to mention, although I'm not a C++ developer I am a C# developer. I have to say, what you've done with the SourceMod code base is absolutely stunning. I've got a hunch that it's basically C++ code that's parsed and executed dynamically with some pre-compiled functions accessible in base DLLs with hooks into the target game (unless I'm way off).

I was wondering if that's the case, does that mean that all of the normal C++ syntax applies or is it only a limited subset?
BAILOPAN
Old 01-24-2008 , 23:06   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #5

You're close -- it's more like a subset of C than C++, since there are no objects. The plugins get executed dynamically but they're converted straight to assembly, so they're very fast (C#, in fact, does the same thing with its programs )

Most of the API and the callbacks are indeed implemented on the C++ side of things. Pawn is really a very simple, event-driven language, primarily targeted at small embedded systems. So you may find it lacks features that bigger languages have built-in (for example, JavaScript inherently includes Regular Expressions), but we try to make up for that by adding API calls/extensions where needed.

Last edited by BAILOPAN; 01-24-2008 at 23:11.
jcarle
Old 01-25-2008 , 00:32   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #6

Now that explains why I couldn't find any full documentation on the language. No point of rewriting something that already exists. I'd extend the suggestion to add references to http://www.compuphase.com/pawn/pawn.htm on the SourceMod website and make it clear that the language structure is based on that, it would make it easier for people such as myself to look up language related things such as support for switch() statements and things of the like. (Unless I'm blind and missed the link.)
BAILOPAN
Old 01-25-2008 , 07:20   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #7

I wrote our own tutorials here: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Introduction_to_SourcePawn (it has all the basics, including switch statements).

The reason we can't use the CompuPhase one is that we significantly changed the language for strings, so it would just confuse users.
Old 01-25-2008 , 12:13   Re: List of minimum files required?
Reply With Quote #8

Understood, thanks.