Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

copy right on c:ss maps.

Post New Thread Reply   

im new to ftp
Old 01-31-2013 , 13:39   copy right on c:ss maps.
Reply With Quote #1

hello im looking for the copyright terms of cs:s maps.

a map maker i know sold a map, but at the same time he copied the map and only changed some features of the map. like the whole graphic of the houses and landscape is the same.
its a ba jail map / jailbreak. he basicly just added like a new medic house so that theres 2 medic houses now and 2 nades in the server and some sheeps and pigs in the landscape, but over all its still the same.

i actually contacted that map maker because i wanted him to change some features in the maps that he made. that means i wud buy the maps, but instead he says that wont do it. then i told him what if i got another person to do it wud that be alright? the instant response was that if he wud see hes map on my server or something that looks like it he would crash my server or take it down.

"servers that run my maps, arent online that long" that where hes words.
and i consider that as a thread?

after that i ofc told him that all the credits wud still go to him but i just wanted to add some extra features, but no he kept beeing stubborn. it actually came to the point where he considered hes work as art, and told me that u dont just change art.

but thats exactly what he did? am i in the right to use hes maps and changes some features or is it copyrighted? and is he in the right to copy a map he sold?
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 01-31-2013 , 14:08   Re: copy right on c:ss maps.
Reply With Quote #2

Copyright applies so the creator own all rights to the map, but the terms of the SSA prohibit sale and grant everyone a right to use the content.

Quote:
Unless otherwise provided in applicable Subscription Terms, you may use the SDK or such other tools only on a non-commercial basis, and solely to develop a modified game for Valve products compatible with and using the Source Engine (a "Mod") or to create derivative works of Valve game content (such as new levels for games, virtual items, or audio-visual content) based on Valve game assets (“Derivative Works”). Except as expressly set forth in any applicable Subscription Terms, (i) you may reproduce and distribute Mods in object code form, solely to licensed end users of Valve games that are compatible with and using the Source Engine; and (ii) you may reproduce and distribute Derivative Works in object code form, solely to licensed end users of the Valve game from which the Valve Derivative Works were derived. In each case, except as otherwise expressly set forth in any applicable Subscription Terms, such reproduction and distribution right is conditioned upon your making the Mod or Derivative Work publicly available without charge on a non-commercial basis.

Last edited by asherkin; 01-31-2013 at 14:09.