Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Spawn weapon entity without physics..

Post New Thread Reply   

xioSlayer
Old 11-07-2011 , 15:20   Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #1

In L4D2 I am using zuko's code to spawn weapons. When the weapon_melee entity is created physics are applied instantly and the weapon falls to the floor. Is there a way to make weapons spawn in a resting state and still be able to be knocked down when bumped?

I know that weapon_melee_spawn entities have physics disabled permanently. That would be ok as well, this is how I have been accomplishing this same task with guns (like weapon_autoshotgun_spawn). however, when i try to create a weapon_melee_spawn entity, I must not be giving it the right information because the entity doesn't spawn.

In Zuko's code he has a check for if you want to create weapon_explosive_barrel, and it applies the appropriate keyvalues to make that entity. How do you find this information? If I could find this information then I would know what values to give weapon_melee_spawn.

I tried using this dev plugin, and it showed some of the properties, but none of the ones i was looking for.
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=143081

Here is Zuko's code for the barrel to show you what information i'd like to be able to find.

Code:
        if(StrEqual(weapon, "weapon_explosive_barrel", false))
        {
            new ent = CreateEntityByName("prop_fuel_barrel");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "model", "models/props_industrial/barrel_fuel.mdl");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "BasePiece", "models/props_industrial/barrel_fuel_partb.mdl");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "FlyingPiece01", "models/props_industrial/barrel_fuel_parta.mdl");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "DetonateParticles", "weapon_pipebomb");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "FlyingParticles", "barrel_fly");
            DispatchKeyValue(ent, "DetonateSound", "BaseGrenade.Explode");
            DispatchSpawn(ent); 
            g_pos[2] -= 10.0-(i*2);
            TeleportEntity(ent, g_pos, NULL_VECTOR, NULL_VECTOR); //Teleport spawned weapon
        }

Last edited by xioSlayer; 11-07-2011 at 15:26.
McFlurry
Veteran Member
Old 11-07-2011 , 16:32   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #2

I maintain Zuko's plugin at this point, you can easily find info on map entities such as weapon_explosive_barrel or other map entities easily with the left4dead2.fgd which can be found in common\left 4 dead 2\bin\
Also if an entity that you're looking for isn't found there you can easily do a stripper dump to find the key values an entity uses. To answer your question on why the melee weapons use physics, it's because weapon_melee is the single count version of a weapon. That's similar to how weapon_pistol will spawn a pistol with physics enabled, while weapon_pistol_spawn spawns a stationary weapon with a "count"
Here's some info from left4dead2.fgd
PHP Code:
@PointClass base(WeaponSpawnstudioprop("models/weapons/melee/w_fireaxe.mdl") = weapon_melee_spawn "Melee Weapon"
[

melee_weapon(string) : "Melee Weapon" "any" "Options: 'Any' or a comma-delimited string of melee weapon script names. Leave blank for none."

You must not have been passing melee_weapon key value to the entity. I'm not sure if you can set a count for how many melee weapons for this entity.

Last edited by McFlurry; 11-07-2011 at 16:34.
Send a message via Skype™ to McFlurry
xioSlayer
Old 11-07-2011 , 17:55   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFlurry View Post
I maintain Zuko's plugin at this point, you can easily find info on map entities such as weapon_explosive_barrel or other map entities easily with the left4dead2.fgd which can be found in common\left 4 dead 2\bin\
Also if an entity that you're looking for isn't found there you can easily do a stripper dump to find the key values an entity uses. To answer your question on why the melee weapons use physics, it's because weapon_melee is the single count version of a weapon. That's similar to how weapon_pistol will spawn a pistol with physics enabled, while weapon_pistol_spawn spawns a stationary weapon with a "count"
Here's some info from left4dead2.fgd
PHP Code:
@PointClass base(WeaponSpawnstudioprop("models/weapons/melee/w_fireaxe.mdl") = weapon_melee_spawn "Melee Weapon"
[

melee_weapon(string) : "Melee Weapon" "any" "Options: 'Any' or a comma-delimited string of melee weapon script names. Leave blank for none."

You must not have been passing melee_weapon key value to the entity. I'm not sure if you can set a count for how many melee weapons for this entity.
Aha! thanks for all that great info McFlurry :]

Yes, I was not passing the melee_weapon value. I assumed it was melee_script_name, since that is the value you pass with weapon_melee entity.

Now it is working, and also, weapon_melee_spawn does support count, for whoever else might eventually need this information.
McFlurry
Veteran Member
Old 11-07-2011 , 18:05   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #4

Thanks for that useful piece of info.
Old 11-08-2011 , 18:10   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #5

Now how would I go about reading melee_weapon from the weapon_melee_spawn entity?

Why is it that DispatchKeyValues uses one name, and GetEntProp uses another? and more importantly, how can I find this 'alternate' name needed for GetEntProp?

This is the code that reads melee_script_name from weapon_melee entities, but it does not work for weapon_melee_spawn.

Code:
GetEntPropString(i, Prop_Data, "m_strMapSetScriptName", meleeName, sizeof(meleeName));

Last edited by xioSlayer; 11-08-2011 at 18:28.
McFlurry
Veteran Member
Old 11-08-2011 , 19:37   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #6

Seems the melee_weapon key value is tied to this
PHP Code:
m_iszMeleeWeapon (Save|Key)(4 Bytes) - melee_weapon 
Got that from datamaps.
Old 11-08-2011 , 19:46   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Seems the melee_weapon key value is tied to this
PHP Code:
m_iszMeleeWeapon (Save|Key)(4 Bytes) - melee_weapon 
Got that from datamaps.
thank you, i was looking at the original left 4 dead datamaps by mistake

This code below uses GetEntDataString and the String:meleeName is set to: "Ào>¥K"

what am I missing about getting the proper value?

Code:
GetEntDataString(i, FindDataMapOffs(i, "m_iszMeleeWeapon"), meleeName, sizeof(meleeName));

Last edited by xioSlayer; 11-08-2011 at 22:34.
McFlurry
Veteran Member
Old 11-09-2011 , 12:13   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #8

Try
PHP Code:
GetEntPropString(entityProp_Data"m_iszMeleeWeapon"stringsizeof(string)); 
It might not even be a string.
Old 11-09-2011 , 15:07   Re: Spawn weapon entity without physics..
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Try
PHP Code:
GetEntPropString(entityProp_Data"m_iszMeleeWeapon"stringsizeof(string)); 
It might not even be a string.

That worked

muchos gracias.

Last edited by xioSlayer; 11-09-2011 at 18:09.