Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop

Post New Thread Reply   

A1ekin
Old 11-05-2021 , 03:26   How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop
Reply With Quote #1

Most likely, my question will seem stupid, but I don't know English well, so I didn't get to use the search

I have Left 4 Dead 2 servers for versus mode, I want to create another one, but with a mutation from the workshop
Rewriting all cvars and configs is not an option, I want to save the desired mutation to the addons folder, and start the server with it

As I understand it:
If I want players to be able to download the desired mutation from the workshop, I have to upload the .vpk file to a directory on the server
Code:
\left4dead2\addons\workshop
After that I have to write the launch parameter in my .sh script
Code:
+mp_gamemode [mutation name]
But I don't know how to find out the name of the mutation
Please tell me if I understood everything correctly and how can I find out the name of the mutation

Thank you very much in advance.
Sorry for mistakes, I am writing with the help of a translator
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 11-05-2021 , 21:12   Re: How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop
Reply With Quote #2

You can open the .VPK and look for the "missions" folder and some .txt should show "modes" and the support modes, maybe the title is there. Or run the mutation and write "sm_cvar mp_gamemode" in server console I guess that would show it.

If the mutation is only .nuc/.nut VScripts and configs without custom textures/sounds then I don't think clients need the VPK. But that's something you would have to check/test.

Sending the .VPK from the server (if that's your intention) will be problematic, and afaik the VPK will not be loaded until after the client restarts the game. Also if it's required to join with the VPK they may not be able to anyway.
Old 11-09-2021 , 05:45   Re: How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop
Reply With Quote #3

I found out the name of the mutation to run it through the console, but now I can't figure out how to run it on a dedicated server

I can run it locally on my computer using for example: map c1m1_hotel [mutation name]

but I cannot run it on my dedicated server
what do i need to do to make everything work correctly?

Last edited by A1ekin; 11-09-2021 at 06:03.
A1ekin
Old 11-09-2021 , 06:26   Re: How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop
Reply With Quote #4

i copied the mutation to the addons directory
but when starting the server I see the error

Invalid mp_gamemode value '[mutation name]', keeping old value 'coop'

(I am directly involved in the development of this mutation)
i tried to pull mutation files from .vpk
there we have only two directories
'modes' and 'scripts'
there is only one file in the mode catalog, with mutation configs
I rewrote them in my server.cfg

the scripts directory contains the vscripts directory, but copying them to the server does not give results
farolo
Old 11-09-2021 , 07:37   Re: How to start a L4D2 dedicated server with mutation from a workshop
Reply With Quote #5

Cool. It's definitely helpful to have someone active as the maintainer of the project.
orbis heater reviews

Last edited by farolo; 11-19-2021 at 08:47.