Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[Suggestion for SM Devs] Add in remaining flags

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 09-19-2015 , 21:42   [Suggestion for SM Devs] Add in remaining flags
Reply With Quote #1

As we probably all know by now, we're missing a few admin flags; U, V, W, X and Y. I'm not sure why they were never added in as additional custom flags (maybe the devs were saving them in case they needed extras?) but SourceMod has been around for how many years now, and these flags still haven't been added into SourceMod yet?

That's basically my suggestion. Add them in as ADMFLAG_CUSTOM7 through ADMFLAG_CUSTOM11. I was going to post this as an "Issue" on the SourceMod Github repository, but it seems that the Issues page has been disabled on that particular Git.

When setting up donator ranks, I use a system like this:
  • Rank 1: o
  • Rank 2: op
  • Rank 3: opq
  • Rank 4: opqr
  • Rank 5: opqrs
  • Rank 6: opqrst

What if I wanted to add a 7th rank? There's no "u" flag so I'm kinda screwed there. And I don't want to use any existing admin flags from a to n because I don't want the donators getting access to sm_admin as a result of using those flags.

See what I mean? Add them in and you'd be doing many people a huge favor. I've been asked many times over the past 2 years of hosting servers for people why there's only 6 custom flags, and asked to help figure out how to do more than 6 donator ranks, and I have never been able to help.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 09-19-2015 , 22:24   Re: [Suggestion for SM Devs] Add in remaining flags
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
I was going to post this as an "Issue" on the SourceMod Github repository, but it seems that the Issues page has been disabled on that particular Git.
The issues page on GitHub is disabled because we already have our own, existing bug tracker at https://bugs.alliedmods.net (forum email and password to log in).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
What if I wanted to add a 7th rank? There's no "u" flag so I'm kinda screwed there.
At this point, you're better off using groups and group overrides rather than continuing to extend the flag system.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 09-19-2015 , 22:46   Re: [Suggestion for SM Devs] Add in remaining flags
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
At this point, you're better off using groups and group overrides rather than continuing to extend the flag system.
Yeah that was suggested to me in a different thread. Guess I'll have to resort to that.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 23:00   Re: [Suggestion for SM Devs] Add in remaining flags
Reply With Quote #4

There are no "missing" flags. You only believe that there are missing flags because the default symbols for the flags are 21 of the 26 English letters. The phrasing found in admin_levels.cfg would indicate to me that you could change the symbols for the flags to any 21 ASCII characters, including non-letter characters. (Don't quote me on that, though.)

For example, the symbol for "reservation" could be "1", the symbol for "kick" could be "3" instead of "c", the flag for custom4 could be " * " instead of "r", and "q" could be replaced with the "&" symbol. Etc, etc, etc. You would need to appropriately change your overrides & admin files and such with the appropriate new flag symbols.

I don't know enough about how the admin flags system is programmed to to give an answer as to why expanding the flag system would be difficult.

Last edited by ddhoward; 09-19-2015 at 23:02.