Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

source listen server lag

Post New Thread Reply   

scout121
Old 11-17-2004 , 00:10   source listen server lag
Reply With Quote #1

Ok i used to be able to run a 22 person CZ listen server and play on it at the same time with no problem. Now it seems as though I can run a source server fine, but when i enter it from the same pc, the lag and ping jumps for everyone. I turn down all of my visuals and it seems to better the lag but not to the extent needed. How much bandwidth does source eat up when you play!!! And can any1 offer me a suggestion or solution to my problem?

And unless your offering $$$$ dont say rent a server 8D

Thank you

specs:
amx 64 fx-53
2 g ram
x800 xt pe
T3 connection
Geesu
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2004 , 08:27  
Reply With Quote #2

rent a server.. LOL

Don't run a dedicated server and play on the same machine. Not even a listen server. Just don't do it. Bad idea.
scout121
Old 11-17-2004 , 08:39  
Reply With Quote #3

so your donating $800 to the clan then?, yey!!!!!

any other suggestions?
Saiyr
Old 11-17-2004 , 09:29  
Reply With Quote #4

I would have to agree. I tried running a source server while playing and it was horrific. I have a pretty new computer, and it could run CS with an 18-player dedicated at the same time without a hitch.
FullThrottle
Old 11-17-2004 , 09:36  
Reply With Quote #5

Different game and different options on what you can and can't do.
scout121
Old 11-17-2004 , 11:31  
Reply With Quote #6

source while playing at least is a bandwidth whore,

well running a listen server was my temp. solution to getting my clan past the first major bumb and help bring in donations for server renting.

any1 have any knowledge of server sponsorships?
FullThrottle
Old 11-17-2004 , 15:06  
Reply With Quote #7

Be a girl clan Or win some tournements. Thats about the only way I know of anyone willing to sponsor anyone these days. There are so many clans out there that almost anyone who will sponsor already grabbed who they thought was a good choice for them.
Saiyr
Old 11-17-2004 , 15:21  
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottle
Be a girl clan Or win some tournements. Thats about the only way I know of anyone willing to sponsor anyone these days. There are so many clans out there that almost anyone who will sponsor already grabbed who they thought was a good choice for them.
Wouldn't being a girl requirement require the removal of necessary organs? But yeah, I don't think it's a bandwidth problem. At the university, I'm on capped T3 with 100-150 Kb/s up. It lags when I'm in the server alone. If you have some spare money, which it doesn't sound like you do, you could try building a really cheap server box instead.
scout121
Old 11-17-2004 , 18:18  
Reply With Quote #9

i could always dust off the gateway from home and bring it to campus, upgrade it a lil, and change the me to xp pro.

But my school claims they can detect if your have a router in your room and ur not supposed too, so they'll disconnect ur internet. We gotta use this ageus program to get onto the internet.

Is this router knowledge bs? Cuz i really dont see how they would be able to tell. If it is, ill hook up another pc.
imported_malex
Old 11-17-2004 , 19:26  
Reply With Quote #10

Yes, it's possible to tell if you have a router. Yes, it's possible (sometimes) to get around that and make them think you don't have a router. Yes, with enough will on their part, they can tell if you are trying to bypass the restrictions.

\malex\