Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Looking to expand Knowledge

Post New Thread Reply   

nGS.Lucid
Zero Posts
Old 08-07-2014 , 02:31   Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #1

Hello everyone, I am a computer science major at my college and would love to expand my knowledge as I want to do more in the gaming field to build a portfolio for my future, I mean if people that make hacks for BF2 can put it on a job resume why can't we put this?

Languages:
  • C++
  • Lua (still working on more though)

Would this be a good place to start about making progress?

Oops, this was meant for the Source Mod forums, sorry my mistake.

Thanks,
Lucid

Last edited by nGS.Lucid; 08-07-2014 at 02:33.
Kia
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-07-2014 , 02:39   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #2

This is off-topic section, it is correct here.
I would not suggest to learn C++ as a first language in programming, or do you know C++ already?
About Lua, not sure where to use it, maybe Garry's Mod.

I play with many game engines (CryEngine, Unity, Unreal, Source) and if you want to more in the gaming field C++ and Java(script) are a good choice (imo).
There are many "guides" about the languages online, or you might want to get a book about the language you want to learn.

Last edited by Kia; 08-07-2014 at 02:39.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2014 , 02:50   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nGS.Lucid View Post
Hello everyone, I am a computer science major at my college and would love to expand my knowledge as I want to do more in the gaming field to build a portfolio for my future, I mean if people that make hacks for BF2 can put it on a job resume why can't we put this?

Languages:
  • C++
  • Lua (still working on more though)

Would this be a good place to start about making progress?

Oops, this was meant for the Source Mod forums, sorry my mistake.

Thanks,
Lucid
I would not recommend learning SourceMod scripting unless you have a genuine interest in writing plugins for a game that you actually play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia View Post
I would not suggest to learn C++ as a first language in programming, or do you know C++ already?
Everybody that I know that has majored in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, and Software Engineering have had to learn C or C++. I guess that means it's important to learn . . .
Old 08-07-2014 , 02:52   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #4

It is important, but I would not learn it as my first programming language.
Old 08-07-2014 , 02:57   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia View Post
It is important, but I would not learn it as my first programming language.
But that IS one of the first that students learn . . . because they are the building blocks. It's like learning calculus. You don't skip learning how a derivative or integral is defined before using the common and fairly easy shortcuts.
Old 08-07-2014 , 03:24   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #6

I've had already 2 years of C++ I'm pretty fluent with the language and me and some friends are working on a game in CryEngine (I wish my friends could keep quite, because I have had to remove two forum post on different sites about it) I will see where that takes me and I do play CS:GO. I learned LUA to make a GMOD hack (honesty), then it got boring to me.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-07-2014 , 10:22   Re: Looking to expand Knowledge
Reply With Quote #7

Well... Valve does have the Source SDK 2013 (link currently down, the actual source code is on Github), which contains the entire source code to Half-Life 2: Deathmatch (and some commented out bits from Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2). It's meant for writing new games on the Hale-Life 2 engine.

However, there is one catch: This version doesn't allow you to sell the games you create in it. The version that allows that has to be purchased from Valve (I've heard it's something like $10,000 USD for a license).

The Unreal Engine 4 is available for $19.99 a month... and you don't have to continue paying to continue using the version you have (so cancel your subscription after a single month until they add features you need). Selling a game based on Unreal 4 does require you to pay a 5% royalty to Epic.