Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Unlimited Spectators

Post New Thread Reply   

anupm
Old 11-09-2010 , 05:23   Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #1

Hi ,

Is there any way to allow unlimited spectator ? We are arranging a tournament and want a way to allow unlimited spectators in the game .

Thanks and ragards,
Anupam
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 11-09-2010 , 06:23   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #2

HLTV. You can set it with a ton of slots.
Jango
Old 11-09-2010 , 14:58   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofmybrain View Post
HLTV. You can set it with a ton of slots.
Hey, Can you clear me one thing: Is this HLTV consumes Server's Bandwidth for its spectators?
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-09-2010 , 18:20   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jango View Post
Hey, Can you clear me one thing: Is this HLTV consumes Server's Bandwidth for its spectators?
It only uses the bandwidth of a single player (assuming the HLTV server is not using the same internet connection/computer of the server). So, no, the number of spectators in HLTV should not affect the game server (assuming my assumption above).
Old 11-10-2010 , 15:21   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
It only uses the bandwidth of a single player (assuming the HLTV server is not using the same internet connection/computer of the server). So, no, the number of spectators in HLTV should not affect the game server (assuming my assumption above).
Thanks for reply.

As you said HLTV consumes 1 player bandwidth, Can I use same Internet connection(same bandwidth) which HL Server uses for HLTV also??

If YES, then what are the advantages & Dis-Advantages?
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 11-10-2010 , 15:57   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Can I use same Internet connection(same bandwidth) which HL Server uses for HLTV also??
Sure

Quote:
advantages
Only 1 IP to remember

Quote:
Dis-Advantages
HLTV and the Server now share the same bandwidth. Get to many people on the HLTV and the Server (and HLTV) will suffer.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
ghostofmybrain
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010 , 18:20   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami
Get to many people on the HLTV and the Server (and HLTV) will suffer.
But, he was wanting to be able to put an unlimitted number of spectators in his server. Putting those spectators into an HLTV instead of into the server won't be any more adverse than the original plan, right? If so, that's not really a disadvantage.
Jango
Old 11-10-2010 , 18:48   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #8

But as per "fysiks" HLTV uses only 1 player bandwidth, then how come it will overload HLDS or HLTV??

If I reduce 1 slot from HLDS & allow HLTV to use that bandwidth then there should NOT be any negative point, right?

Offcourse, Load on system resources(RAM, CPU) matters, but nowadays system(pc) configurations can handle HLDS as well as HLTV very easily.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-10-2010 , 19:21   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #9

If both of the game server and HLTV share the same internet connection then, relative to the ISP, there will be no difference between having 30 players in the server and 15 players in the server + 15 HLTV viewers because they all share the same bandwidth.

If you want unlimited HTLV viewers then you need to host the HLTV somewhere else (also, would require a miriad of piggy-backed HLTVs for true "unlimited" ).
Old 11-10-2010 , 20:32   Re: Unlimited Spectators
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
But as per "fysiks" HLTV uses only 1 player bandwidth, then how come it will overload HLDS or HLTV??
I think what he probably meant is that every person who connects to the server as a spectator uses up some of the server's resources. So if you had 30 spectators, they would use up 30 slots' worth of resources (like memory and whatnot). But if you had 1 HLTV connected, it would only use up the resources necessary for one person to connect.

The bandwidth is a seperate issue, and wouldn't change whether they are connecting to HLTV or to a server.

Although, don't HLTVs send fewer bits of information, and receive fewer from their connectors? In which case, connecting to HLTV would actually use less bandwidth than connecting elsewhere?