Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Seriously dumb question related to strings...

Post New Thread Reply   

Durzel
Old 01-04-2009 , 13:01   Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #1

Is it safe to do something like this?

example:

decl String:buffer[100];
buffer = "This is a string";

I realise there are functions like Format, etc that take the sizeof() as a parameter, but when you don't need formatting options what are you supposed to use? sprintf/snprintf don't seem to be valid functions to use in SM?

I only ask because I've written a mod which does the above and whilst it appears to work I am getting a load of spurious packet output to the console that looks like the product of corruption somewhere, and it seems that it crashes the server after a round ends.
pRED*
Old 01-04-2009 , 15:34   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #2

No.

Format *is* snprintf. Otherwise you can use strcpy.
BAILOPAN
Old 01-04-2009 , 20:06   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #3

If you don't need formatting options you can do passthru, i.e. Format(x, sizeof(x), "%s", string) -- or strcpy as pRED said.
BANNED
Old 01-05-2009 , 02:01   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #4

new const String:blah[] = "Stuff in buffer.";

If you have to change whats in blah you should use strcpy or Format and also define a size. However, if blah is going to be static its best to use the above code.
SirLamer
Old 01-05-2009 , 18:28   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #5

Consider your code here:

Code:
decl String:buffer[100];
buffer = "This is a string";
In SourcePawn, the second line changes the array pointer address to whatever "this is a string" ends up becoming, but does not actually change the string in memory. Basically, your array will point at a new, meaningless location in memory, which your script will have no problem reading from, and will be printed out as gibberish.

The following are acceptable:

Code:
new String:buffer[100] = "This is a string"; // Assignment like this during creation is acceptable

new String:buffer_2[] = "This is also a string"; // buffer_2's length will be auto-sized

decl String:buffer_3[100];
strcopy(buffer_3, "This is another string");
Similarly, you have to use the function "StrEqual(string_1, string_2)" to do logical comparisons of strings.

Languages that accept the straight-on assignment like you propose , such as PHP, are actually interpreting your intent in the compiler and sort of correct the logic to do what you would intuitively expect - assign the string into the array, and not change the memory address. SourcePawn doesn't do that for you.

The reason you get a LOT of gibberish output is because the script is actually reading from memory until it encounters the end-of-string character , '/0'. This character is automatically appended to all strings in memory, and this why a 2-character string like "at" actually takes 3 bytes. This system trusts that the provided memory address is valid, however, and it has no defense against random selection of a new memory address other than to keep reading until it happens across another end-of-string character from another string in memory.

Though I don't know the source code, I would expect strcopy(dest, source) to be faster than a pass-through with Format and is preferred unless your new string requires complex combination of several sources.

Last edited by SirLamer; 01-05-2009 at 18:34.
Kigen
BANNED
Old 01-06-2009 , 01:07   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #6

All SourcePawn functions relating to strings use buffer overflow protection (i.e., you have to specify a size of the dest buffer using sizeof() or a int).
BAILOPAN
Old 01-06-2009 , 03:19   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #7

SirLamer: You're right that strcopy would be faster. But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLamer
In SourcePawn, the second line changes the array pointer address to whatever "this is a string" ends up becoming, but does not actually change the string in memory. Basically, your array will point at a new, meaningless location in memory, which your script will have no problem reading from, and will be printed out as gibberish.
Pawn does not expose references - arrays are copied by-value, so string assignment there should be valid as long as the rvalue string can fit in the lvalue buffer.
Old 01-06-2009 , 06:27   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #8

Ok thanks for all the help, I did think that it didn't seem unsafe but it's a bit odd writing in something that is "sortof C, but not quite". Or maybe my C is just a bit ropey...

Either way, changing the instances in my code where I was assigning a string to strcopy() didn't fix the problem I was having.

Basically while my plugin is running I am occasionally seeing this happen in the console on the client (not the server). Any ideas what could be causing this?

Last edited by Durzel; 01-06-2009 at 18:49.
SirLamer
Old 01-06-2009 , 11:08   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
Pawn does not expose references - arrays are copied by-value, so string assignment there should be valid as long as the rvalue string can fit in the lvalue buffer.
Oh excuse me, thanks for correcting me. I had similar weird issues when transferring my PHP experience to Pawn and thought that it was replacing the address pointer. I guess this means that one could implement their own string copy function that checks for the string length.

Quote:
Ok thanks for all the help, I did think that it didn't seem unsafe but it's a bit odd writing in something that is "sortof C, but not quite".
It's not C, it's Pawn. ;)
Kigen
BANNED
Old 01-07-2009 , 08:45   Re: Seriously dumb question related to strings...
Reply With Quote #10

Looks like corruption.

It would be better if you posted all of your code as is so we may better understand what is all going on.

Explains a bit more on Strings in SourcePawn: http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Introduct...cePawn#Strings

Last edited by Kigen; 01-07-2009 at 09:13.