Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Searching these forums

Post New Thread Reply   

supergreg
Old 06-22-2009 , 10:21   Searching these forums
Reply With Quote #1

Are there any special tricks for searching these forums? What are the modifiers/keywords to use etc? Doesn't say in the FAQ. So far I have stumbled upon NOT as a functioning modifier, what are the others?

The search function ignores searching for phrases by putting them in quotes, and instead splits the phrase into separate words, and ignores the short or common words contained.. makes it hopeless to search for specific code solutions etc.

I really don't want to start new threads every time I have a simple question, especially knowing most of them have already been asked, often also answered with several different solutions etc. The board has lots of info, but it's hard to find it via the search.

Example:
Search the entire board for FM_ClientUserInfoChanged -> No results
Use Google to sitesearch that query within the board -> 587 results
What gives?

If this is "just how things are" (aka built-in VB forum search is crap) why not have a Google custom search field readily available somewhere on this site?

Thanks for helping so I can help myself without unnecessarily bothering you later on
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 06-22-2009 , 10:34   Re: Searching these forums
Reply With Quote #2

search in the funcwiki
Old 06-22-2009 , 18:53   Re: Searching these forums
Reply With Quote #3

Which did you mean?
1. Function reference
- I use this search a lot, it is very helpful, however: No results for "FM_ClientUserInfoChanged".
- I knew this was related to Fakemeta, so by browsing the fakemeta module I found "FM_ClientUserInfoChanged, // void ) (ent, szInfo[])"
- Sadly that didn't answer my questions, and when this reference does not provide enough information and I need more info to understand, I just want to be able to search forums to find answers...

or
2. Wiki? -> No results

My problem is that I know the answers I seek are in the forum threads, its just that the forum search function does not do a good enough job of digging them up, at least not without some secret modifiers I don't know about. I wish some forum leaders would confirm/admit this is a real problem and maybe could try to improve/replace the forum search function.