Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Common Windows Error/Game Crash w/Some Plugins

Post New Thread Reply   

Fragg
Old 04-22-2006 , 16:26   Common Windows Error/Game Crash w/Some Plugins
Reply With Quote #1

I run a dedicated stand-alone server running SRCDS on Windows (on it's own PC from a home connection). I run SourceMod on it as well as VIP Mod (with no problems at all). Been rock steady for months and I can also switch to running CSSDM also with no problems. So basically, my SourceMod interface is correctly installed and I can run certain mods with no problems.

Lately, I wanted to try running other Source Mod plug-ins like Mani, or Basic Admin, or Hostitron, etc.. I've tried them all individually. After installing any of them on my server (yes, I checked that it loaded in metamod and I can see it running in console) they all run but then crash my game at map change every single time. I get the following error in a Windows pop up box when the game crashes:

srcds.exe--Application Error
The instruction at "0x00e42723" referenced memory at "0x118e00e4". The memory could not be "read".

This happens with any SourceMod plug in other than VIP Mod or CS Deathmatch (both which run fine). Since it's the same crash error with different mods--it's got to be some server/Windows setting. Any ideas on what it could be? I'd really like to run some of these other mods--but I have no clue what the error means. Anyone ever see this error before or experince a game crash on map change like this when using a SourceMod plug-in?
BAILOPAN
Old 04-22-2006 , 21:32  
Reply With Quote #2

It's "Metamod:Source", not "SourceMod" ;)

Can you narrow it down to one plugin that does it? Like, only loading one that is able to crash it?
Old 04-23-2006 , 11:39   Map Change Game Crash Error
Reply With Quote #3

(Metamod:Source) I stand corrected

Bailopan, any other plug in other than your CSSDM and VIP will crash the game while changing maps.

With Metamod:Source running I tried the following combinations:

1. VIP + Mani Admin = game crash error
2. VIP + Basic Admin (BAT) = game crash error
3. VIP + Hostitron = game crash error

What I have yet to try is disabling VIP and then trying the individual plugins. I hope it's not the VIP mod --one of the main reasons I run Metamod:Source is so I can run the VIP mod (which is very popular on my small server).

I will try that and report back. I know creating dependencies between too many plugins is just asking for trouble every time Valve updates the game, but I would like to run just a couple of good ones. Talk to you later.

Fragg
sslice
Old 04-23-2006 , 11:56  
Reply With Quote #4

Could very well be CS:S DM if your server was updated.
Old 04-27-2006 , 21:16   Server Test to Diganose Map Change Crashes With Plugins
Reply With Quote #5

Okay--did the experiment. Commented out all plug ins and then tested each one individually on the server.

Metamod: Source + VIP = OK
Metamod: Source + CSSDM = OK
Metamod: Source + Mani = runs then crashes srcds on map change
Metamod: Source + BAT = runs then crashes srcds on map change
Metamod: Source + Hostitron = runs then crashes srcds on map change

Same error as before:

srcds.exe--Application Error
The instruction at "0x00e42723" referenced memory at "0x118e00e4". The memory could not be "read".

All plugins appear to load and run correctly on start up (I watched the server events as they all loaded). So the plug ins are installed and run, but then crash on a map change. Does that mean they can't reload--is there another commnad invoked on map change that is not invoked at any other time that makes the game tank? No clue what to do next.
Fragg
Old 04-28-2006 , 18:58  
Reply With Quote #6

I'm trying to figure out this issue and and I went back over the install instructions for Metamod:Source. Here's a stupid question regarding the directions in this particular paragraph as follows:
----------------------------------------------
Upload the files to your server:
Upload the server.dll or server_i486.so file to your addons/metamod/bin Folder.
Upload the metaplugins.ini file to your addons/metamod folder.
WARNING! - Do not replace the mod's server.dll/server_i486.so (usually in "<mod>\bin"). This will cause your mod to stop working.
----------------------------------------------
When I uploaded the files to the server, I think I uploaded BOTH the server.dll AND server_i486.so in the addons/metamod/bin Folder (they were both in the downloaded file for Windows servers--I think).

Would having both the server.dll AND server_i486.so in the addons/metamod/bin Folder together cause issues? I thought I needed both. I run a Windows server (and know absolutely nothing about Linux), so I'm guessing I only need the server.dll and NOT the server_i486.so? Would this even matter to Windows? If this messed up the way Metamod:Source runs--wouldn't running CSSDM and VIP cause it to tank also (and it does not)?
Fragg
Old 05-07-2006 , 10:24  
Reply With Quote #7

Anyone? Any ideas?