Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Server Need Your Help

Post New Thread Reply   

codyscafe7
Old 12-13-2009 , 17:39   Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #1

I am interested in buying myself a dedicated server for my house. Only thing is i have no idea what i would need to decently run a cs server. I would i also want to host a website off of this server. Could someone help me out by providing me links to good servers or giving me specs to servers that would complete these tasks well. Thanks.
Veteran Member
Old 12-13-2009 , 18:02   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #2

Keep in mind that the average home connection will result in higher latencies than the ones in datacenters...

What's your upload speed and how many slots do you plan on hosting?
Old 12-13-2009 , 18:31   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #3

probably a 10-15 slot. Im on my laptop currently but my home connection is Roadrunner and i think i get up to 7.0 Mbps
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-13-2009 , 18:43   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #4

That is your download, what is your upload?

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
codyscafe7
Old 12-13-2009 , 18:49   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #5

not sure, i cant check currently due to me using laptop elsewhere =(

Just put the internet deal aside, i can upgrade if it comes to that. Could i get a link to a server that would do this task for me.

Last edited by codyscafe7; 12-13-2009 at 18:51.
Veteran Member
Old 12-13-2009 , 19:01   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #6

'The internet deal' usually forms the bottleneck for servers hosted at home. Before spending money on hardware, you might want to check if it's not going to be a waste, right? I don't know about ISPs in your region, but here (Netherlands, Europe) it's impossible to get a decent upload (>5 Mbps) capacity if you're not already on fiber. Upgrading here usually means increasing only the theoritcal download speed.

As for the hardware requirements of hosting 10 to 15 slots: basically anything could be used for that. If you persist on getting some new hardware, look for energy efficient stuff. Any recent, normal desktop CPU will already be overkill, so speed is not the issue.
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 12-13-2009 , 19:07   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #7

Also, I suggest you read the RoadRunner ToS. It does state that you are not allowed to run any kind of server on the connection. So you may want to think about that as well.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
codyscafe7
Old 12-13-2009 , 19:09   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #8

Thanks for all the help, im in ohio so the speeds arent too bad. I tried running one on an xtra computer a bit ago, it worked but iot was a bit choppy for others and mic quality was terrible. The computer only has a gig of ddr gam so its pretty shitty. Im looking to get something to run it for 400 or less. I would love you forever if you could toss me a link to one that would be good for that. Thanks, my friend.
Jelle
[b]MOAR CANDY[/b]
Old 12-13-2009 , 19:24   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #9

If you can assample your hardware yourself it is pretty easy and cheap to get a server.

a INTEL p4 would be fine, and with an onboard graphic card is also fine. Then get some fast ddr2 RAM og 2GB of them. Then you should be fine..
codyscafe7
Old 12-13-2009 , 19:31   Re: Server Need Your Help
Reply With Quote #10

my problem is im fairly new to dedicated servers, i just have no idea what to buy, im familiar with gaming pc's put not actual servers. I learn quick and i want to learn =D.