View Single Post
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-29-2017 , 10:51   Re: SMAC by-pass hack?
Reply With Quote #27

If
Code:
GetClientAuthId(client, AuthId_Steam2, auth, sizeof(auth)
returns FALSE, then
Code:
IsAuthorized(client);
should return FALSE too according to my experiments in the past, though that was with CS:S.

If GetClientAuthId returns FALSE, and you're still using the contents of "auth", that is when when you're getting "STEAM_ID_STOP_IGNORING_RETVALS", it should not be returning TRUE at the same time as providing "STEAM_ID_STOP_IGNORING_RETVALS".

Even the very old GetClientAuthString, says the same as the newer GetClientAuthId:

Code:
Return:
True on success, false otherwise.
&&

Code:
Return Value

True on success, false otherwise.

Many years ago, I started out with some plugins here from AM, then I changed to my own plugins, and/or re-built them to suit my needs better.

Many of them was using like the above example I made in POST #5.

I ended up on having a lot of issues, sometimes with empty or invalid Steam ID's, and when I finally saw the documentaiton, I found that the plugins wasn't doing things according to the API (checking TRUE vs FALSE return value)

I then changed things from:

Code:
GetClientAuthString(client, SteamID, sizeof(SteamID));
PrintToChat(client, "Your Steam ID is: %s", SteamID);
to

Code:
new bool:bSteam32 = GetClientAuthString(client, SteamID, sizeof(SteamID));
if (bSteam32) {
  /* Do whatever I wanted to do with SteamID here */
  PrintToChat(client, "Your Steam ID is: %s", SteamID);
} else {
  LogError("Something failed here ... bla bla bla");
  PrintToChat(client, "Something went wrong when looking up your Steam ID, sorry.");
}
Since then, there was NEVER any problems retrieving the correct Steam ID any more on those third party plugins after they were re-built this way.

I don't intend to be rude, but for plugin creators, the thing is very simple - make sure to follow the documentation 100%. That worked for me when creating my plugins, as well as when fixing broken plugins created by others.

For the above "temp fix", I would rather suggest kicking people, like SMAC does, if the player hasn't validated within like 15, 30, 45 or 60 seconds - depending on what you prefer. 15 seconds should usually be enough, unless the Steam network is down.

OnClientPostAdminCheck will never be called, if Steam network is down (or STEAM_ID_PENDING / STEAM_ID_STOP_IGNORING_RETVALS), and therefore I usually suggest using that one for "on-connect" things when you need to know who they really are.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].

Last edited by DarkDeviL; 09-29-2017 at 10:53.