View Single Post
Domino_
AlliedModders Donor
Old 06-01-2022 , 21:53   Re: AM logo
Reply With Quote #18

Wow, there’s a lot to unpack here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKat View Post
Some of them, including myself see it as blatant propaganda being shoved down our throats,
Right off the bat, it’s a massive red flag that you seem to think adding some pretty coloured lines to a logo in the top corner of the forum is in any way propaganda, let alone it being shoved down your throat.
Quote:
despite never being against the LGBTQIA+ community and agreeing that they can prefer whosoever they choose.
Good, but that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, visibility is an important part of civil rights movements, the fact you go on to take issue with this somewhat contradicts your claim here.
Quote:
Many of them, however are genuinely curious as to why only this specific community is given special attention, when there are millions of other communities (including theirs) which would make people more aware and knowledgeable about them. To not acknowledge them but other communities makes people honestly wonder: "Do I have to be Gay/etc. to get such attention?".
Being “Gay/etc” is not something you choose to be, and to suggest otherwise clearly highlights the importance of bringing increased visibility to the movement. Pride isn’t some exercise in attention seeking, and makes it pretty clear you don’t understand the very thing you’re criticising.
Quote:
Therefore, this seems like forced pandering to me, and not something they really care about in a larger sense, but do just because they look more advertiser/corporate-friendly. This comes out as extremely disingenuous on their part, but they are reluctant to accept it due to their biases.
This makes absolutely no sense, you seem to be suggesting that due to some unspecified biases, the AM staff are reluctant to accept the disingenuousness of their pandering to corporations and advertisers. This is so self-evidently wrong that I’m not sure what to even say to it.
Quote:
Lets say they do have a few members who identify to be in that community, so what?
Well, you answered your own question, it explains why the logo has changed.
Quote:
The majority of this community are people who do not identify as such, and some of them honestly do not even care about what's happening.
And you are clearly in the former but not the latter. It’s pretty clear that you’re rather bothered by it, so what do the people who aren’t have to do with it?
Quote:
For example, would you like someone's stances on religion/guns/abortion to show up as a logo too, just because a few people think it deserves attention?
This is a completely disjointed point which has nothing to do with the conversation at hand.
Quote:
So why do I care about it? To me, the LGBTQIA+ community divides more than unites each other. I don't like divisions based on sexuality or gender, and treat the people in the community with the same respect that I would give to anyone who's a Male or a Female.
Your choice of language here is, again, a massive red flag. Your entire post just screams of discomfort with the people in this community and that you’d rather have them out of sight and out of mind. You start a sentence claiming you don’t like divisions based on sexuality or gender, but end it with language used to distinguish biological sex. Humans are social beings, and therefore have social structures like gender, which is related to but distinct from sex, so bringing it up comes across pretty weird.
Quote:
The less you force it upon people, the more accepting they become (if that's what worries you). I don't want to glorify anyone, but rather treat them as they would treat me. They don't need any special treatment from you, or me, or from this community, to feel that they belong, because they already do, no matter what anyone says.
You’re either very naive or just being disingenuous. Civil rights are always fought for, telling minorities to be quiet and grateful is frankly rather discomforting to read. Acceptance of all forms almost always comes from interpersonal exposure to our differences. This is why visibility is so important, as it allows people to understand that others aren’t so different from themselves. It may even allow some people to better come to terms with their own feelings. You’re also seeming to suggest that striving for equality is somehow needing special treatment, which again, entirely misses the point. Your individual treatment of other people isn’t as important as their broader societal treatment, which is still far behind where it should be.
Quote:
A logo isn't going to make them feel any better,
How would you know?
Quote:
and many of them already see through the corporate bullshit that most companies prefer doing during Pride Month. It would rather divide more people who think: "Why doesn't our X community have a logo, a day, a month, etc. too?" like the OP pointed out. Love for all, not for one.
Your final on topic remarks here really drive home how little you understand the issues faced. Many people, for a multitude of reasons, are not treated equally.

You really ought to reflect why people are fighting for their civil rights and why complaining and pushing back against it is pretty distasteful.

Last edited by Domino_; 06-01-2022 at 22:31.