View Single Post
ocwoody
AlliedModders Donor
Old 07-02-2013 , 21:21   Re: SourceBans 2.0 Public Preview (2013/07/01)
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMongoose View Post
Here is the flaw in allowing steam login to sourcebans.

ANYONE can log into your SourceBans web site using Steam Login.

Now there are a few things that can be done in place.

1: Add the person's steam ID and their access anyway, but don't allow them admin access until they log into the web site.
2: Allow sourcebans a public registration system, but only give access to the people you pick and choose.
3: htaccess password protected location that you give password to only admins, then they Steam ID log in and then again, you STILL have to enter the access of the person.

Either way you are still doing MANUAL entry.

The 3rd point of this is, that's a potentially huge users database of people that you may not even want IN the users database.

I really don't see how this is a more efficient way of adding administrators, I think it just adds clutter.
I think he was thinking more along the lines of still manual entry. For example the administrator would simply add an admins steamid and his name assigning him the proper groups etc. Then the admin would simply need to Log-in with his steam to access the features made available. If an individual tried to log in with steam that didn't match a admin steamid, they would simply get rejected/redirected.

Last edited by ocwoody; 07-03-2013 at 00:37.