View Single Post
Old 09-23-2022 , 12:50   Re: [ANY] Improve Latency
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki1412 View Post
cl_cmdrate - This command sets the max number of command packets that are sent from your client to the servers each second.

cl_updaterate - This command is used to set the number of packets per second of updates you request from the server.

Its not really a trick when you lower them. Servers can also enforce them via server commands:
sv_mincmdrate sv_maxcmdrate sv_minupdaterate sv_maxupdaterate

If you lower them, you send and receive less data but that also means that your game has to simulate where a player is, more often. Could be missing your shots more due to that.
Yes, but the point was:
Quote:
I had noticed that when default rates of clients were lower then those of the server, latency decreases.
That means while we want clients to have default rates (cl_cmdrate 30 and cl_updaterate 20), the server shall enforce higher values and thus resulting in lower latency for clients.

This is the observed bevahiour (you can test it by yourself by joining a server where sv_mincmd/up is higher then 20 and 30 using said rates above and once again with higher or equal values to the server. The former will decrease latency).

For example:
Server using sv_mincmdrate 66 and sv_minupdaterate 66 and client joined with cl_cmdrate 30 and cl_updaterate 20 equals to lower latency.

Where when client joins with cl_cmdrate 66 and cl_updaterate 66 equals to higher latency.

And like I said: Apparently, it cannot be achieved this way anymore (via ClientCommand). Bacardi might be right that it might work in way older versions of CS:S. But I don't remember when I did this (guess pre orangebox). At this point it doesn't matter.

Last edited by 000; 09-27-2022 at 07:03.