View Single Post
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 02-07-2015 , 08:36   Re: SourceMod 1.7 released!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Local, SM webcompiler, or Spider?
I know the new assembler is a lot slower, but it makes up for it in not being a pile of arse.
LOL.

This is the local SM compiler that comes with sourcemod (spcomp). I haven't tested spider or webcompiler yet.

Quote:
If/when that happens, it'll be a separate compiler binary, and both will ship with SourceMod.
Maintaining binary compatibility is extremely important to us, and source code compatibility is also very important.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks!

Quote:
No, it compiles to exactly the same bytecode, it's just syntactic changes.
This is another thing I wanted to know too, so that would then mean that old syntax and new syntax run at the same speed.

Compilation time is not a big deal, and I'd rather have that overhead be paid during compile time and not on the SM VM on the server.

BTW, is there any reason why SM devs took the route of having a separate binary compiler apart from the SM VM (like java does) rather than having the server JIT the source code to bytecode on runtime (like CPython does)? That is, on server boot up, compile the code to bytecode and then let the map loading begin. That would, in principle, eliminate a lot of GPL infractions, except for private commissions that run on modified sourcemods and don't obey the GPL. (Of course, it would make the server take longer to boot up, I guess.)

Probably too late to do that now but eh, worth asking anyway.

Last edited by Potato Uno; 02-07-2015 at 08:43.