View Single Post
joshtrav
Old 05-08-2017 , 16:38   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Posted these in IRC, but it may be better fielded here in this thread:

Code:
[12:27] <josh_> I was very interested in the post regarding support for Source2 on the forums, and had a question regarding whether or not there had been much discussion on extension support as well going forward
[12:27] <josh_> it seemed like option 2 - the more wrapper style approach to existing items within the game would be unavailable, but options 1 and 3 seemed like they could
[12:28] <josh_> I know that INativeInvoker was deprecated in the past, curious if the function calling alternative (name has spaced my mind at the moment) would be on the list of potential inclusions
[12:37] <josh_> I am also curious if there is anyone with more in-depth knowledge of extension coding that may be available for freelance effort in lieu of these potential changes (should I have not time personally)
Disregard, it seems IRC was a viable place to ask questions. Responses in case anyone else was interested:

Code:
[12:43] <@asherkin> josh_: I'm not sure what you're asking really
[12:43] <@asherkin> McKay: you can pool among plugins mixing threaded and non-threaded queries
[12:44] <josh_> asherkin: in the current sourcemod, I can call functions defined in sourcemod through an extension, in the past I could also do that with natives.  I was curious if any forethought was put into extensions in the future (source2) having such capabilities
[12:45] <josh_> I apologize if that still doesn't make much sense
[12:45] <BotoX> with a little hax you can also call natives
[12:45] <BotoX> that is modified sourcemod
[12:46] <BotoX> https://p.botox.bz/view/941ba248
[12:46] <BotoX> not complete™
[12:46] <josh_> I am not super concerned, we made due with the function availability - I am just trying to forecast if our current extension can be modified to suit a potentially new environment, and while I realize its rather early, was hoping to discern if any opinions had already been made in this regard
[12:46] <+McKay> Doesn't sound so bad to me as long as nobody is using synchronous queries
[12:46] <@asherkin> INativeInvoker was removed because it is only useful for embedding other languages in SM
[12:46] <+McKay> I certainly wouldn't want to run a plugin that did
[12:46] <@asherkin> it is far too early to discuss that in the context of Source2
[12:46] <BotoX> <asherkin> INativeInvoker was removed because it is useful
[12:47] <josh_> correct asherkin , which is what we had been doing.  We still do this via the function call, and make a Glue plugin (per psychonic
[12:47] <josh_> 's recommendation)

Last edited by joshtrav; 05-08-2017 at 16:50.