View Single Post
Scuzzy
Old 01-17-2008 , 12:20   Re: Convert STEAMID to Steam Community ID
Reply With Quote #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFrog
If I were in your place, I would only track multiple bans from the same IP address. Once an address has reached a pre-set limit only then would I wipe out the IP. Its far from perfect though, and the same problems still apply - just the chances of banning the wrong people are less due to the "ban limit" buffer.

I'm just picking holes anyway, don't mind me - I'm a system whore :]
I understand the worry, but we've had the system for years and it's worked well. 99% of this type of ban are two people are playing from the same IP the same night. I'm not aware of how many people have dynamic IPs, most companys issue an IP and so long as the computer reconnects to the network in the next week they keep that IP (from what I've seen in the U.S.). Back in the days of dialup I'd completely agree with you. We've had 75228 unbanned people connect to our server over the last 3 years. Of those 75228 people:
74921 had 9 IPs or less
198 had between 10-19 IPs
79 had between 20 and 49 IPs
24 people had between 50 and 100
6 had above 100 IPs
It may untentionally ban one or two people out of a few hundred thousand, but I think the margin for error is pretty small. We've also received 0 complaints that a ban was incorrect because of this reason, and we get unban requests every day. We're more willing to crack a few eggs then deal with Llamas over and over again. There are plenty of good servers to play on, being limited away from ours doesn't really hurt anyone.

Scuzzy