View Single Post
sorrybro
BANNED
Old 07-22-2018 , 00:54   Re: [DISCUSSION] Why do you break the rules?
Reply With Quote #127

Yea, when I said IP ban, I was considering the possibility of IP's being eventually used by other new owners, but you're right whoever mentioned that some gameserverhosts branch out IP's and lease out ports to different owners (which I think is pretty cheap xD to hosts who do that).

Even if ports are banned (with the token of course) it does a lot of damage too. As long as players lose the server on the favorites tab or struggle to find the server through the IP they have saved, the server may have to start over from scratch depending on how many loyal players they've earned.

If what asherkin said is true, and I don't see why not if it is all automated, then I wonder if valve is thinking of a new way to overcome it, or simply putting it aside until they are confident on a different solution. However, as stated before, I think it isn't a big priority and not sure if it has a big enough impact on Valve's business model with selling virtual items, as for me, as a player, those server side skins are little value and more for short-term fun, and it would make me want the real thing more where I can have it shown everywhere (mm, other servers that don't run skins, or even sell it myself).

Not that I'm for server owners who for whatever reason test the mighty Gaben, and threaten Valve's business model when technically server owners OWE Gaben and all the people involved with Valve in the first place, for making the game and the platform for communities to be built (alliedmodders have a big shout out of respect too). Sure, we are voluntarily contributing with servers we pay for and by putting hours into creating a great social experience for the game, but why ignore almighty Gaben (i know it's CSGO devs but I like Gaben) and disrespect by running something so UNNECESSARY. THERES LIKE PLENTY OF OTHER COOL PLUGINS TO BUILD YA KNOW????

Either way, I think these server owners will get what's coming by directly ignoring and on top of that exploiting intentionally, and they're going to regret it since all they simply had to do is not run those unnecessary plugins. Or perhaps they will not take it personal and simply patch it where it's difficult to create a workaround, like what TF2 did with mdl attachments. (Sure people always can find workaround but patching works very well, if possible obviously).

As for the OP, if people can get away with it easily enough (I guess in this case by getting new tokens), it will be done. Honestly, developers or moderators shouldn't be surprised, and I doubt they are. Toxic people exists, and there's not a better place for them to want to be where they can sit behind their computers.) But it doesn't mean Valve can't create a system to counter it or at least mitigate it significantly, and honestly releasing a patch to ruin your work is pretty tasteless in my opinion (no matter how much Valve owns everything and it is theirs, but common fair people who love contributing shouldn't have to pay for a convenient patch). I feel your concern and feel bad for you and other devs, and hope somehow alliedmodders have some kind of connection or communication with someone who works at valve to consider your work and good intentions in their decisions. I'm sure they do with sourcemod releases (but just my guess what do I know, seems like its not always the case with that recent CSGO announcement about them removing weaponid's).

Btw that reddit post has little merit of course, it's just posts from normal anonymous users. Just was a way to get some perspective and think of all the possibilities.

Last edited by sorrybro; 07-22-2018 at 01:15.