View Single Post
cybermind
Old 10-27-2005 , 16:58  
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax
I also think the existing metaplugins.ini thing is pretty silly. It'd make more sense to tell people to add "meta load someplugin" to their autoexec.cfg file.
This would eliminate the load-time concept of plugins. For this to work, plugins would have to be allowed to load at any time, which may not work well for the plugin (it may rely on something being done at startup, or tracking data the entire length of the map). Plus, I think autoexec.cfg specifically is run before the mod is loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdax
I think it'd be better if metamod had its own directory at the top of the server directory, so you don't have to have multiple copies of the same plugin for different mods, or a mess of symbolic links.
While some would see this as more efficient in terms of storage space and updatability, this would defeat the purpose of having the centralized addons directory for the plugins anyway, as MM:S and server plugins would now be scattered around multiple places (keep in mind server plugins already go in the addons directory, but they are for the most part unorganized inside there). Also, rented servers may only provide access to the mod directory, eliminating the ability for the server owner to maintain MM:S himself, requiring the host to do it.