View Single Post
KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 07-24-2012 , 19:28   Re: [ANY] ConVar Suppression
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
It's a matter of readability, not functionality. sCommand means 3 different things at different points:
I agree that separate variables would be awesome. However we don't have pointers in Pawn, so while it's an excuse for this, it's mine. If we could point to arrays with a single cell, that would make my day.
Quote:
1. The command name at the first ReplyToCommand.
Said buffer is only used when argc is < 2 (If memory serves me right). This is there so we're not hard coding command names. At the bottom of the if (argc < 2), there should be a return Plugin_Handled, otherwise you've found a major issue! If so, thanks! It's there so if someone adds the alias sm_powerlordcvarsuppressionsuperawesomecomman d and points it to the function, no changes will be required and the same will happen.

Quote:
2. The second argument at the StringToInt.
Totally! As you can see, the result of the operation on the buffer is stored to a cell with a value of 0 or 1. -1 if it's unknown or invalid.

Quote:
3. The first argument at the second, third, and fourth ReplyToCommands.
Second argument to the second, third, and fourth ReplyToCommand. In this case it's changed to the cvar that it is suppressing.

Quote:
This is one of those things that makes maintenance programmers (want to) kill previous programmers.
A better fitting name for the Array would be Junk or something I suppose? sCommand made sense as it's the command name for the first, then turns into the 2nd arg, and then the first. If this was C, I'd have 3 char pointers to show this, but it isn't. If I add comments would it help you? I normally do, but this was more of a "Oh, this doesn't exist. I'll share it." thing.

Quote:
Speaking of functionality, it might be a good idea to check if the ConVar exists (checking FindConVar against INVALID_HANDLE) before adding it to the trie, returning common.phrases's "Unable to find cvar" phrase if not found:
PHP Code:
// In OnPluginStart

LoadTranslations("common.phrases");

// in OnSupressConVar's case 0:

new Handle:convar FindConVar(sCommand);

if (
convar == INVALID_HANDLE)
            {

ReplyToCommand(client"%s%t"PLUGIN_PREFIX"Unable to find cvar"sCommand);
                return 
Plugin_Handled;
            }
            else
            {

CloseHandle(convar);
            } 
Good idea! The only bad thing I can see coming from this is late loading a plugin then expecting the ConVar to be suppressed when this actually errored out.