View Single Post
reBane
Old 04-07-2022 , 11:24   Re: [Any] TrustFactor
Reply With Quote #5

* The amount of comments as far as i can tell is not visible through the SteamWorks API.
* Getting the inventory value would probably require a third party API, SteamWorks API can read the inventory, but also assigns values to untradable/non marketable items? not sure how that works.
* Counting steam games would be possible but depending on if you want to count f2p games that would probably mean another API call. However I can very much imagine people playing/having only one/very view games and with already checking the game time itself, idk how useful this really is. You could also just get a bunch of really cheap games to boost that number.
* Any analysis of the friendlist would probably not only raise privacy concerns, but also very quickly drain your API call limit (I guess steamid.uk has some data cached, but I don't want to register an API key just to look at the docs). Also VAC/Trade banned friends is an iffy; those accounts do not have to be alts or may be close/personal friends - maybe some people did some stupid stuff but having the actions of others influence the players experience doesn't sit well with me. I think I understand why you suggested this tho.
* Going by IPs is just not useful nowadays imo; if a bad actor has multiple accounts they probably know what a VPN is. Also (growing up with siblings) it was a pain getting Support to whitelist the IP in games that did that. There is also reasons to legitimately use a VPN for playing games, and I couldn't find any publicly available lists with IP ranges.

I want to keep the setup simple, that why I'm a but hesitant to add more external APIs. As for Battlemetrics, what would you want to fetch from there? Player bans? I intent to add SourceBans data as trust flags, but they currently don't have natives in the sbpp_checker module and I wanted to wait a bit and see if they merge a PR that would add that.

I'm not against adding new factors, just giving my opinion first