View Single Post
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 04-30-2017 , 15:55   Re: Development Roundup and More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartialCloning View Post
Where did the other guy's comment go?
He deleted it himself. I re-deleted it, removing the deletion reason, as it was just a summary of the post itself, which was offtopic and snarky.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
Create one or more new MM:S plugins that just extend the VScript scripting API that already exists in the engine, exposing an admin API and whatever other functionality is missing. No existing scripts would work, but the base of the scripting API is a first-class citizen and would have a much smaller chance of breaking with a game update, as Valve would be maintaining the bulk of it.
What would be the draw backs to that approach? If I understood correctly it works alongside the scripting system for source2, but would it be limited to what the script allows?
Yes. You would start with the existing API that Valve provides, but then could extend it, similar to how SourceMod extensions or AMX Mod X modules work.

The biggest downside is that no part of existing scripts will continue to function, and users may have to learn a new scripting language. The scripting language may not even be the same between games. (The API wouldn't necessarily be either, even for common functions, but our extended API could be). For example, CS:GO currently uses Squirrel and Dota 2 uses Lua.

Quote:
On a side note can you allow github issues for amxmodx or would that have to go through Arkshine?
I could, but it would indeed be much better to go through Arkshine.