View Single Post
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 03-30-2018 , 22:19   Re: Is it possible to ban hackers who spoof their steam IDs?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
People often trick their ISP into assigning a new IP address, by spoofing the mac address on their router. I can do this three times before the lease period is up. Then use anther steam account.

ISPs only have a limited number of IP address blocks for a given area. If the first three numbers in the IP address string are the same, this should be a red flag right away. If not, the country, city and ISP could potentially match up, when running the information through a GeoIP database like IP Tracker.
It may work for some providers, but there are also a lot that it doesn't work for.

Yet there are (well: used to be, at least) providers where you get a new address each 24 hour, you could at least say hi to the German "Deutsche Telekom" here.

What works for one provider is very different from another one... But previously I could take out 10 IP addresses from one of my providers, which they claim to have reduced to 2, which is the latest thing I heard.

Recently I could span over three different ranges, from the exact same physical location:

- A /20 subnet (e.g. 192.168.144.0/20 (192.168.144.0 - 192.168.159.255))
- A /23 subnet (e.g. 10.156.218.0/23 (10.156.218.0 - 10.156.219.255))
- A /24 subnet (e.g. 10.156.253.0/24 (10.156.253.0 - 10.156.253.255))
(NB: Random private RFC19188 ranges provided for the purpose of demonstration)

So your advertised way of comparing the first few octets of an IP address will be very vague, and cannot be recommended for a foolproof solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickz View Post
The problem is SB doesn't have a module capable of automatically doing these things, to warn admins.
And how exactly would you automate doing things, when you are completely unable to find 100% foolproof and accurate information automatically?

There is no foolproof solution to the issue, you can do a lot, but you can also "waste a lot of time" in the journey, with little to no gain at all, and you're also playing around with a huge risk of a lot of "false positives".

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].