View Single Post
extrospect
Old 12-01-2009 , 09:30   Re: [L4D2] pouncedamage+ - Hunter Uncapping & Modification
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
stupid question but does this work for l4d1 aswell? It would be nice to have the damage carry over
The thing is I specifically designed the plugin for L4D2 (as AtomicStryker said, I took away the plugins ability to utilise the max & min range cvars from L4D1 which no longer exist in L4D2), and the default values for pounce max & min range aren't the same in L4D1 & 2 so the damage formula would most likely be off, however I will look at putting them back in for the next release so it will work on L4D1 too. Will try and get something up soon . If you want to try it out in the meantime you could try changing the server range cvars to the same values as the plugin has hardcoded atm, should make the plugin produce correct results - the scale can be modified using pdplus_scale if it feels off :

Code:
sm_cvar z_pounce_damage_range_min 300
sm_cvar z_pounce_damage_range_max 1024
Quote:
Why do you use fix values for min and max pounce distance, where (created) cvars would allow the 'old' customization range?

I mean, the Pounce Announce Plugin this is made of even used all the necessary calls
Because 2 Cvars are unnecesary, the single pdplus_scale cvar allows you to rescale damage. Admitedly you can't shift the scale to reduce the min, but 1 dmg pounces occur from pretty close anyway so there really isn't much need for extra cvars.

The actual values are now fixed in game and I've managed to pin them down with a lot of testing, and using a single scale cvar was just the simplest way for the user to modify the damage scale, rather than trying to copy what valve did. However, after the above post I'll probably try and put the ability to check for the cvars back in to allow L4D1 compatability . Letting the user change custom cvars I create to replace the old ones would require a lot of rewriting though; because, at the minute, the plugin uses the damage formula as a 'reference' of what damage the game has already dealt and so MUST have those, correct, fixed values plugged into it for features of the plugin to work correctly. In order to allow custom max and min values to have an effect its gonna be complicated and, at this point in the plugins development, more effort than its worth when you can already customise the damage scale very easily with pdplus_scale.

Last edited by extrospect; 12-01-2009 at 10:14.