View Single Post
El Diablo War3Evo
Veteran Member
Old 06-28-2016 , 10:51   Re: [TF2, CSS, CS:GO, FOF] War3Source:EVO v3.0a (6-27-2016)
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmany View Post
Okay, thank you for answer)
Its possible to create Chameleon race(like CS 1.6 war3ft) in War3Source:EVO?
This race have random skills on each round. Skills from Undead to Crypt Lord.
I never worked on Ownz's Generic Skill creation and I have not removed that either, so that should probably still work. It is not in the method maps as I have not added that there, so in theory is should work if you was to use Ownz's Generic Skill creation system from War3Source 2nd generation.

As far as having random skill sets, you would probably have to create a bunch of generic skills and pull from them.

I just thought about something. It is possible I could create a system to "trigger" skills that a player's race does not normally have, but I would have to work on a system to do that.

It would probably be more preferable to just create a triggering system or a marking system. For what you ask is pretty complicated and could take either a long time to create or not at all.

Maybe your best be is to try and use Ownz's Generic Skill creation system in each race you create to be able to "share" skills between races.

I'll look further into this.

My idea is...

Maybe I could create a system to have 2 race sets. One is Real, and the other is Fake. If both are the same number, then the system would use the Real number... if both don't match, then the system would use the Fake number as the raceID for that player. In order to use this, it would probably be best to setup the Fake number in the race itself.

One of the issues I have with this is trying to figure a way to keep the engine optimized while doing this stuff. I'd hate to change how the engine works just for 1 race.

The other issue is... would the player be leveling that race, or would they be leveling each skill from the other races?

For what your calling for is to create a list of "skills", then from there assign those skills to races at any time?

To change how race building works would be the best way to solve this issue.

I think the best idea is to figure out how I built SkillCraft and I think that would help change how races are built. In my SkillCraft, players could setup and choose from numberous skills that they decide they want to use. It allows players to create their own races in game. SkillCraft never caught on and nobody wanted to play it.

Your race idea is good, but from what i have experienced... the more complex a game the less players you will get. In other words, SkillCraft was too complex and since a player couldn't figure out how to defeat the other player .. as that player kept changing skills on each death... it was really hard to balance and counter.

How do you plan to have a player counter your race that changes skills every round, death, or what ever?

Here is another link to my plugin SkillCraft: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=228357

The problem again would be leveling a race that can change its skills.

Creating a system like your requesting would be to completely remove how the races are built, and to incorporate a skill system. The player's race would then determine what skill set it has.

Do you have a copy of the old source code your talking about? If so, can you share it?

The best way I can think of doing this for War3Source:EVO would be to allow races to pick from a pool of skills. That race that you create could "switch" its skill set, but everyone playing that race would also have all the same skills. So, if that race changed its skill to some other skill.. every player playing that race would have their skills changed to the same skill that everyone playing that race has.

Overall, it would require a ton of work and time. If your a programmer, hopefully my SkillCraft will give you better ideas. Good Luck.

P.S. If you can tell me a good reason to change the engine to do this other than just 1 race having that ability... I may consider looking into it. Other than that, this system can not swap skills between races.

ideas on topic..

Player Selects Race, once they join the race, the race assigns skills to the player. The race would now be able to "change" the skills of the player while the player is still the same race. That could be possible, and would require changing how the system builds races. And again would require time and effort.

Does anyone else see a benefit in this time and effort?

Last edited by El Diablo War3Evo; 06-28-2016 at 11:46.