View Single Post
redivcram
Veteran Member
Old 12-05-2019 , 18:59   Anyone else find Pawn rather frustrating lately?
Reply With Quote #1

I've been writing in Pawn since the very beginning of my scripter/programmer days, which was around 7 years ago. No matter the frustration, I love Pawn as much as I did back then. It helped me climb up to learn more powerful languages.

But, after getting into Object Oriented programming, for a few years, I cannot seem to understand and cope with Pawn's "childish" way of working like I used to, mainly around object types, mostly with the fact that its not an Object Oriented language. It's just gotten a lot frustrating and I'm considering migrating to C++. AKA dish out AMXX and work in the core. AKA Metamod.

I know that the point Pawn is to work in an easier environment for unexperienced developers, hence my backstory. :^), however, I really do consider moving to Metamod plugins. I've tried making a couple of silly little hello world and player death hooking plugins and the concept is pretty much the same, but hey, I can create classes, structures and explicitly name each variable corresponding to its type!

Pawn will always remain my #1 Mentor in programming.
What are your thoughts on Metamod plugins? Have you ever worked as hard in them as in AMXX?