View Single Post
MegaBrutal
Old 02-07-2023 , 14:00   Fast Download problems
Reply With Quote #1

I know there are many threads about Fast Download already, but none of them gave me answers. I want to enable FastDL for my server, but it simply doesn't work. At all.

I have the following CVARs set:

Code:
sv_allowdownload 1
sv_allowupload 1
sv_downloadurl "http://coralie.megabrutal.com/valve/"
Now I would expect my client should download assets from the specified URL if they are not present locally. Yet assets are being downloaded in the ordinary way from HLDS. The HTTP server doesn't even get any requests, so it's not about permission problems. I can also download content directly with my web browser. It seems Half-Life totally ignores the FastDL URL specified.

Now I enabled a sufficient level of developer console and see that Half-Life does acknowledge the download URL – it just doesn't use it.

Code:
BUILD 8684 SERVER (0 CRC)
Server # 56
Serverinfo packet received.
Clearing memory
loading sprites/640hud3.spr
loading sprites/640hud7.spr
loading sprites/640hud8.spr
loading sprites/640hud9.spr
loading sprites/640hud5.spr
loading sprites/640hud6.spr
loading sprites/crosshairs.spr
loading sprites/640hud4.spr
loading sprites/640hud1.spr
loading sprites/640hud2.spr
loading sprites/iplayer.spr
loading sprites/iplayerblue.spr
loading sprites/iplayerred.spr
loading sprites/iplayerdead.spr
loading sprites/tile.spr
loading sprites/laserbeam.spr
loading sprites/camera.spr
loading sprites/voiceicon.spr
Remote host:  Coralie
Couldn't find map maps/bitrnit.bsp, server will download the map
Spooling demo header.
MP3_InitStream(25, media\Half-Life17.mp3) successful
Using http://coralie.megabrutal.com/valve/ as primary download location
Verifying and downloading resources...
After this, the download commences with the regular method through HLDS. Do I need to set another CVAR? Or do I need to enable the utilization of FastDL in my client? I'm not even sure whether it's a client or server side problem.

My other question is, how should I secure the webspace? Obviously I denied access to .cfg, .ini files, because letting anyone to download my server.cfg with the RCON password doesn't seem like a good idea. Still I'm afraid that I might have left something available that allows people to find a way to hijack my server. If I go the opposite approach and instead of denying access to files surely not need to be downloaded, I rather have a whitelist of files I allow access to, I'm afraid I would miss something and deny access to some files clients would legitimately need to download. I don't even know what happens when clients can't download a file from the FastDL server – do they just fall back to regular download or they fail to join the game ultimately?