View Single Post
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 11-20-2017 , 14:03   Re: Banned by CONSOLE SMAC/KAC
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinandband View Post
I was looking more for an explanation on how the cheat worked and any potential false positives. I’m not sure exactly how a client would go about trying to force their own cvars (intentionally or otherwise) but I’m trying to be fair as an admin, and I’ve seen this ban quite a bit on other server groups.

I’ve noticed lots of hearsay on forums saying there’s potential for false positives, or just differing opinions coming from server admins. Really I was hoping by posting here I’d get something more useful.
Cvars are used to store configuration by both the server and client. Replicated cvars (what the module checks) always have the same value on the client as the server. Cheats interrupt the replication process to set their own value for the cvar rather than the servers value. Why they do it and how they do it is specific to the cheat and the cvar in question. A replicated cvar’s value not matching the server always indicates a cheat is being used (and a badly written one at that), the game client itself has no functionality to bypass cvar replication.